Cracked Laserdisc Rare Please Help Fix???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lee_H, May 4, 2005.

1. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a very rare laserdisc that is irreplacable from Argentina. It is Depeche Mode - Some Great Videos.

The idiots cracked one side of it in the shipping, but it didnt go all the way through, just the plastic covering.

Does anyone know where i can get a new plastic layer put on this and fixed? i cannot play it right now and im am very bummed as i spent alot of money on this.

a web address, phone number? who fixes cracked laserdiscs?

thanks.... my email is [email protected] too

does anyone else have this laserdisc btw?

2. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I would NEVER put it in my machine even if it were fixed. The RPM of that big disc is to much to risk your player. Interesting thing would be even if it was fixed would it have video dropouts, or skip? I would think that the laser might not be able to read true past the glue, or whatever. If it came UPS make them eat the cost if possible. Sorry i cant offer any help.

3. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

i was thinking repair was possible because of the laserdisc faq section where
    Henry Feilden said "there are ways to repair single side cracks"

"Q:I have a disc with a crack in it:

A:Cracked discs should never be put in the player.With disc RPM up to 1800 they could explode and destroy the player in extreme cases.There are ways to repair minor single side cracks,but I would not even consider them unless the disc is of huge value and totall un-replacable.Even repaired,they may not play at the point of repair.
    "

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I will eMail you Bob Niland's instructions for fixing cracks, which so far as I know have never been tested, if you really want them. What you must understand is that, even "repaired", that side will probably never play again. The data pits are molded into the acrylic outer layer, the face opposite from the one which faces the world, rather than into the thin protective layer which separates the two sides, so if the crack penetrates all the way through the signal is corrupt, probably irretrievably so, and oxygen has access to the aluminium reflective layer. Your best bet, though, is to get the insurance paid off [you did have it insured, didn't you? anyway, if the shippers could crack the disc at all it was because the sender packed it wrong, and you ought to squeeze him for your money back] and wait for another copy to come along. That title was released once in the U.S. and twice in Japan, so it's hardly irreplacable; in fact, LDDb lists one copy of the U.S. version [featuring "A Question of Lust", not on the Japanese editions] for sale right now.

5. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

in fact thats the one i bought from LDDB, the site hasnt updated the fact this guy sold it to me yet...it was the only copy i could find, paid 117 US..came from argentina....CRACKED..all i know is that the disc was registered mail and had a traceable tracking number through argentina.

he packed it horribly. just two cardboard thin flaps around the thing..no bubble wrap, not sponge...NOTHING!!!

i want my money back, but he isnt responding to my emails...plus im heartbroken...i really wanted this title...

btw did you email me that stuff? im hoping i didnt miss it or my spam catcher got it? my email is [email protected]

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I haven't yet. As I said, it's not a really good idea to try this. If the LDDb seller is not giving you any satisfaction, eMail Julien Wilk [who also is a member of this forum, by the way]. He won't be pleased!
    Particularly considering the Shop Policy states I wonder if it was cracked before he posted it? In any case this is not an example of "Best Practices" for LDDb sellers. I would certainly be more careful [my LDDb ID is "publius", and I do have a shop but have not yet sold anything].

7. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if it was cracked ahead of time as well. He still hasnt written me back..but ill give him until 3pm until i start taking action.

He told me he was trustworthy and to check his ebay status, which i THINK i did, and he has a perfect record, so it might have been a mistake...however how do you only package a laserdisc travelling all that way in just two thin cardboard flaps with no bubble or sponge or anything else and tell me "packed well"

he better give me my money back...i will write that lddb guy, and call anyone and everyone.

the whole transaction is recorded through western union and the letter was registered with a tracking number..im wondering who to call to see if i can't get my money from the shippers?

Also if anyone else has Depeche Mode - Some Great Videos on laserdisc..ill buy it from them...this sucks

8. Julien WILK

Julien WILK Extra

Hello,

Just got the story after a referral link showing from my access logs on LDDb.com.

First of all, the user maintaining this Shop hasn't logged on LDDb.com for the past 97 days. Also he updated his Email address there last October, I'll send you both via PM.

Second, I'll remove Selling rights for this user temporarily until things are cleared.

Third, since this transaction has been conducted outside LDDb, I have very little control over it. This falls back to a person-to-person transaction and leaves the website entirely stranger to this transaction. Shop Policy there does not apply and is non-binding for the Seller.

The point of making the transaction official there involves me as providing selling/buying contract between both parties. Concluding transaction outside LDDb put it "out of scope" and I should not even remove Selling rights to the seller. However since no transaction was never officially performed in this Shop through LDDb, I have little feedbacks from other buyers. I'd like to get the Seller's side of the story.

It happened to me twice before (from eBay) that the disc arrived broken:

Lion King AC3 US -> side 1 cracked on all radius
    => Seller never cashed back the check

Sting Videos -> cracked close to the edge, last chapter
    unplayable (skips, wrong trackings)
    => Seller refunded me the LD (minus 50% shipping)

Regards,
    Julien

9. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

I tried to purchase it from the LDDB but it wouldnt work...first my account had to be 48 hours approved or something, so i checked back in 48 hours and i still coudn't get it to work so i emailed the guy again and told him i coulnt get lddb to work after 48 hours, and asked him to enter the sale information with my info for me, and he told me hed sell it to me...he said he could comply, and said nothing about it being private and the terms on LDDB didnt apply.

Not only that i asked him why the record of the transaction wasnt on the website, and why the disc was still listed...he said he had entered all the information of the sale for me and that he had already written to have record of the disc being for sale taken off the site...obviously neither was true!!!

I thought i was buying it from his online store still and he was entering all the info to the LDDB site...but it appears i was mislead AGAIN!

I was under the impression this was still a LDDB purchase...and he was entering the information for me!

This seller wrote me back, and said the sale would go on..he said nothing about this not being part of his store, he mislead a newby to LDDB!

As for removing his store etc...im giving him 24 hours (5 more hours) to write me back before i pursue any action, he might not have checked his email yet...but this is entirely his fault for not packing the disc right after i specifically begged him to do so ahead of shipping, and its his fault for not telling me the purchase was outside LDDB. He went on like this was business as usual...

10. Julien WILK

Julien WILK Extra

Hello again,

It's strange you couldn't buy anything after exactly 48 hours on LDDb. It could only mean that the Email address you used there bounced and was declared "invalid", but it's not. Your account was created April, 21st and you never tried to log in again since then (access counter is still 0 since account creation) although it might be because the cookie session is still alive.

Did you try to contact me when this happened?

Only the Admin (me) could "force" a transaction to a neutral account to then move the ownership of this transaction to another account. No regular Seller/Buyer has this kind of control on LDDb. I "could" remove items from Shop but it wouldn't be a very fair practive. Since Sellers are responsible for their Shops, I could only force a opening/closing (which I just did).

Only the Buyer can initiate the transaction and trigger:

o the removal from the Shop
    o generatation of Seller/Buyer's notification Email
    o update of past sales statistics
    o transaction update mechanism (paid/shipped/etc.)
    o allow cross-feedbacks to be posted

Since he couldn't "create" this transaction for you, it has not been registered anywhere in LDDb, from the system point of view, it never took place, that's why the LD is/was still listed there.

It would be like "Contact Seller" in eBay to offer him to make the transaction outside eBay. The Seller could never force eBay to make you buy anything, unless you put a bid on your side and that the Seller accepted to sell at this price. There again, transaction started from your side, not his.

Nothing can be started from the Seller, otherwise I would have sold all my LDs to the first registered Buyer, forcing him to pay for everything. Not very realistic!

Regards,
    Julien

11. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

im not saying LDDB had anything to do with this..im saying the seller mislead me into thinking i was still making a purchase from his store on lddb, and that he was filling in the information.

i tried about 6 times to log in to lddb around 48 hours time and before...im not an expert on cookies, but i wouldnt lie to you.

at any rate this guy told me nothing about it being a private sale or suggesting to wait till i get some cookie problem fixed, and i even told him the trouble logging in i was having, and directly copied and pasted the error message i was getting. he made me feel it was business with his store as usual, but he would do the transaction info fill in with lddb. if this had been ebay with their protection policies i would have waited. i dint think there were any protections on LDDB< that it was just a nice site for info and some discs from private sellers, with lddb keeping records of sales for potential buyers. I had no idea that the purchase was outside LDDB though...and he never let me know that.

LDDB is a cool site, dont take this complaint as anythign to do with your site. If i had some problem with a cookie, or this guy midlead me a couple hours short of 48 hours of whatever happened....its his fault, not yours...

20 cents worth of bubble wrap and i would have been a very happy camper right now

12. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

the guy now emails me telling me im rude, that he is part of the transaction, and that he wont give me a penny back or make a claim with his mail company.

i begged him to pack it right, and he packs it with two feeble cardboard flaps and he thinks i should care about his feelings?

i paid him 17 US to ship it correctly, what the hell...

now he says he is blocking my emails...and that he doesnt even believe necessarily that its broken, when i offered to ship it back, take pics of the thing now...that i have witnesses when it was opened and kept all the feeble packaging...

he should understand im very angry....hes lucky he lives far away...what a jerk

13. Julien WILK

Julien WILK Extra

Hello,

Got a reply from the Seller, I would like to check what he calls "well-packaged". Could you take a pic of the packing and sent it to me?

He doesn't really care wether I delete him from LDDb or not. Given this story and the crazy prices he has in Shop (basically he must be buying LDs to make DVD bootlegged copies and sell the LDs back later), I wouldn't mind losing a Seller here.

Was it shipped registered/insured (for $17, I would guess it should have been)? Then you could claim refund from the shipping company.

Shipping LDs properly is a tricky thing. I've received parcels that were either:

1/ wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper!!!
    2/ ready to stand World War III

But rarely in between. I guess 1/ was from careless Sellers or people who never received a broken LD. 2/ was from people who already received a broken LD before and got pissed off because of that!

Still I don't understand why the transaction couldn't be registered on LDDb after more than 48h. There's nothing in the PHP code that could have prevented this. What screen did you stop at? Adding to Cart? Checking out?

Regards,
    Julien

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Well, maybe because clicking on a Shop's name, from anywhere, causes a message: "Sorry, this shop is temporarily closed". Any shop. Including yours and mine! I don't know how long that's been going on.

15. Julien WILK

Julien WILK Extra

Since about 10 hours, a mistyping in a SQL query... that I can't fix from Office.

I'll fix it first thing this evening in Japan (morning in the USA). Let's call that a 16 hours "maintenance" (although I wish I could have spotted that earlier!)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    Julien

16. Julien WILK

Julien WILK Extra

As a compensation, all LDDb Sellers will soon have access to my personal eBay DTS LDs statistics for the past 3 years. Best tool to price things at their current worlwide market value!

Regards,
    Julien

17. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

Julien its not your fault at all...its this guys fault...as for the packaging and the disc, i would be more than happy to take pictures of them and let you see..ill take them after lunch and post them here.

Sorry for the late response i had to work last night and just got back to the computer.

The error message i got was something like what you listed above, but i cant recally exactly waht it said, but i know i couldnt purchase the item wouldnt complete the transaction. It happens...he should have informed, the seller...that it was not an official puchase since he KNEW i was brand new and i copied and pasted some of the error messages to him!

the complete paper envelope, two cardboard flaps and the broken disc are right beside me. I mean if i were a scammer, i could have thrown away the bubble wrap it was in, but that wasnt the case...my guess is that guy is dumb enough to admit that as well, he thinks two little cardboard things can protect a disc all the way from argentina to canada.

You know it might be different if i didnt pay so much, and if i didnt really want this title, BUT THE MAIN THING, is that i begged him ahead of time to pack it extra well. Not only did he not, i buy alot of deniro pacino discs, and never has any of them come without either popcorn, bubblewrap, lotsa newspaper, a box to buffer or something...i think its a scam

i think he had a cracked copy and offered a burned dvd he had to appease the sucker who bought this thing...it may have been cracked ahead of time. Thats why he must have devliberately ignored my wishes for extra packaging (which i saved all the emails), and packed it flimsy so it would look like an accident.

I cannot find anyone to fix it either, nor can i find another copy anywhere on the entire internet to replace it ACK! which i would have paid for [​IMG]

Okay the pictures will be up as soon as i can. Im waiting for the batteries for my digital camera to recharge..give me a couple hours

The package was registered through a courier in argentina and traced till it left his country. as for insured i have no idea...i have a spanish friend who helped me fill out some form to let them know it came broken...but it doent say anything about whether they refund the money or not. I called my mail company and they told me the SENDER has to make the claim, and he rudely told me he wouldnt make any claim or give me a penny!

In canada if you register the package its insured for up to 100 dollars if mail company delivers it damaged...so i would assume the same from this courier since i paid 17 us to ship it, and it was registered..but he wont make the claim

Thank you for your interest Julien.

18. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

Lee -

I do not have a solution to your problem, but I just wanted to say that I feel for you right now. This may sound silly, but I am a HUGE Depeche Mode fan as well and have been looking for that laserdisc for a long time. If I were to recieve it for 100 dollars (and I would pay that much) only to find it cracked, I would be rather heartbroken as well. I can only hope a resolution to this problem comes quickly for you...and let's all hope that DM will release this title on DVD, where it properly belongs, in the near future. [​IMG]

19. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

i am heartbroken, its not even the money as much as the item itself..and depeche mode has said in the past they will never release it on dvd.

20 cents of bubble wrap!!! argh!!!!!

thanx for understanding, i really am in the dumps about it, even if i didnt have it, the fact this loser would let such a rare item be destroyed.

20. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

They've said that?

DAMMIT!

Well...some of those videos are pretty embarassing now, a good 20 years later. So I can understand their position. Somewhat.