Cracked grill on center speaker, does it affect the sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rbirk, Dec 24, 2002.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I have a KEF Q95 center speaker where the grill is cracked in a couple of places. Could this affect the sound in a noticeable way? In other words, is it worth getting a new grill (if this is possible).

Ron Birk

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Ron,
    The only way I can see this being a problem is if the grill makes noise from vibrating. It may be easily repairable with an epoxy available from a home improvement store.

Bill

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I agree with Bill on this simple repair and wheather it's affecting your sound..

Easy fix:
    A 2-part Epoxy available at most any hardware store will cure your problem. ~{It strong and sets fast}~.
    They have come a long way from the days of old with 2-part epoxys. Many now come in a injector that dispenses the proper amount of each part and you just mix and put it where you need it.

They make a number of different types of 2-part epoxy, make sure you get the type (designed for glueing what your frame is made of)!
    4.00 to 10.00 a tube, depending on brand, store, and tube size. You will have a bunch left over and it's reusuable if you buy the injector type tube I mentioned, as it comes with caps for the ends.

Anyway you look at it, it's cheaper than purchasing a new grill if out of warranty...

Regards
    Geoff

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Duct Tape

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Excellent
    Wheres "RED GREEN" when you need him...[​IMG]
    Yes of course Duct tape, it fixes eveything....

6. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the answers. As the grill is not visible from the outside, I just leave it as it is.

Ron