What's new

Cracked grill on center speaker, does it affect the sound? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I have a KEF Q95 center speaker where the grill is cracked in a couple of places. Could this affect the sound in a noticeable way? In other words, is it worth getting a new grill (if this is possible).

Ron Birk

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Ron,
The only way I can see this being a problem is if the grill makes noise from vibrating. It may be easily repairable with an epoxy available from a home improvement store.

Bill

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I agree with Bill on this simple repair and wheather it's affecting your sound..

Easy fix:
A 2-part Epoxy available at most any hardware store will cure your problem. ~{It strong and sets fast}~.
They have come a long way from the days of old with 2-part epoxys. Many now come in a injector that dispenses the proper amount of each part and you just mix and put it where you need it.

They make a number of different types of 2-part epoxy, make sure you get the type (designed for glueing what your frame is made of)!
4.00 to 10.00 a tube, depending on brand, store, and tube size. You will have a bunch left over and it's reusuable if you buy the injector type tube I mentioned, as it comes with caps for the ends.

Anyway you look at it, it's cheaper than purchasing a new grill if out of warranty...

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Excellent
Wheres "RED GREEN" when you need him...:D
Yes of course Duct tape, it fixes eveything....

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the answers. As the grill is not visible from the outside, I just leave it as it is.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks