Crack lines in stucco of my house. Normal? Worry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Two year old house and between 8-24 months, a few crack lines show up in some area. There are 3, two of which are no thicker than two nickels but one is about a quarter of an inch. They're not long, end at corners or edge of the window frame. The builder won't fix it because it's normal they say and I've noticed that other houses with stucco have them too. It's my first home so I'm new to this and to house with stucco cover. Do I need to be concern?

2. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

After the next earthquake, those small cracks probably won't seem very important. [​IMG]
    Deane

3. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

My house is almost eight years old and last year the stucco began to develop a few cracks as well. They are all small cracks, none of them are anywhere close to a quarter of an inch. I have no idea what size cracks are considered "normal", but my understanding is that stucco cracks are a common occurrence. Hairline cracks can be filled just by painting, but I believe anything larger requires something like a pre-mix stucco product before painting. Thanks for reminding me, I need to get out there this weekend and repair mine. [​IMG]
    Anyone else have any experience with this type of repair? Product or repair procedure suggestions? I could use some advice too.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Luc,

From across the Bay and on top of the Hayward fault, my house is 4 years old and have those cracks as well. And yes, from what my builder told me, they are normal as the stucco expands and contracts. If the cracks get too wide, then fill it with the pre-mix stucco patch (which you can pick up at places like Home Depot).

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

When I first saw the title of this post, I figured you were either located in my general vicinity or a bit more northernly. I was right!

Yes, cracks in the stucco are perfectly normal especially in seismically active regions. Just wait until the interior paint starts to show cracks or your doorframes don't align perfectly.

I love my house and wouldn't want to live any way except owning my own home, however, houses can be total pains at times. Yours is new which means it will be a while before you need to worry about termites, replacing all the plumbing, re-roofing....

6. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I'm in Vallejo now but you guys reminded me something: earthquakes. We had a couple since we moved in. I forgot all about it!

Julie,

my front door isn't closing right already. To be honest, I'm very unsatisfied with the builders in the Bay Area in general. Because of the high demand for homes here, they build it quick and fast and screw things up quite a bit. So far nothing major. Still, I'm wondering where all the dying earthworms in my living room are coming from.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Hmmm...earthworms don't sound good. I'd be afraid of a crack in the foundation. Doors do sag and shift, especially after years of earthquakes, but to it that after a couple of years does seem a bit odd. It sounds like you may be getting all the joys of owning an old house while it's still new.

Check with other people in the area. If they are having problems too you may be able to bring more pressure on the builder and force him to fix the problems.

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Ah yes, the old door-jams-out-of-square problem. I just fixed my front door and garage entry door for those problems. I didn't fix the actual door frame, just had to do some trimming of the door to get it to close right. The bottoms were scraping and interfering with the weather stripping and the latch wasn't lining up to the striking plate any more. So very annoying! The next door to fix is the master bath. The door rubs really bad on that one. I'm actually going to rip off the molding and reshim the door frame for that one. I guess that's what you get with a 20 year old house in the bay area.

But I don't have any noticable stucko cracks at all. Hmmm...

9. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Here's what I think is the reason for the earthworms in the living room. They probably coming from the bottom of the front door frame where it appears they didn't seal it well.

It was just sloppy building job but what do you do when you live in an area where home are expensive and in many places, it's like trying to get Star Wars ticket for the first showing. In San Jose, my cousin had to bid for the house. Just 2 days ago, the news (KGO810AM for those of you in the area) reported that home sales are the highest since 1996. That's shocking considering our economy hasn't bounced back yet.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Luc
    I just got done rebuilding my 106 year old condo.After a lot of reading I found plywood on the inside load bearing walls helped the most....16 tons of plaster later, I am done. Great for noise proofing and weather proofing too.
    There is a lot of good books from the government that can help you more on your crack problem[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I believe that the city of San Leandreo (SP??) has a good web site on earthquaking proofing
    Good Luck