What's new

CRACK IN THE WORLD (Blu, July 5th) (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I just received notice that Paramount's CRACK IN THE WORLD is coming to blu on July 5th from Olive Films. I bought the recent standard DVD and it looks very nice, but of course will upgrade to the Blu version. I just wish they would release these together, but I guess they had to see how sales would be.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by John Morgan

I just received notice that Paramount's CRACK IN THE WORLD is coming to blu on July 5th from Olive Films. I bought the recent standard DVD and it looks very nice, but of course will upgrade to the Blu version. I just wish they would release these together, but I guess they had to see how sales would be.

Well it does lead me to believe that sales were good enough to go Blu.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wow seriously? Great news hopefully this leads to more titles like this to blu.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm totally on the same page as ShowsOn as concerns "Skidoo". Is Olive ever going to release this psychedelic hoot-fest by Otto Preminger? Maybe it will do really well and warrant a blu-ray, too. That would be a dream come true!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann

I'm totally on the same page as ShowsOn as concerns "Skidoo". Is Olive ever going to release this psychedelic hoot-fest by Otto Preminger? Maybe it will do really well and warrant a blu-ray, too. That would be a dream come true!

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences and the heads as well!) but since it always makes the "50 Worst films of all Times" lists, it deserves to be seen in all its hippy-trippy glory!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences and the heads as well!) but since it always makes the "50 Worst films of all Times" lists, it deserves to be seen in all its hippy-trippy glory!
I don't know about that. Look at the shelf life of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and the fact that "Salo" and "Caligula" got the royal treatment in blu-ray. Talk about turning off the mainstream audience!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I waited 6 months after this first streeted last year, hoping they would announce the Bd release, something they originally hinted when they first got the Paramount licenses was a strong possibility. But since it never came, I ordered the DVD (and enjoyed the film quite a bit).

Would have absolutely bought the Bd if it had been announced concurrently, or if they had offered a DVD/Bd release such as Synapse did with Vampire Circus.

Sorry, but as much as I loved the film, I'm just a little annoyed at this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann

I don't know about that. Look at the shelf life of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and the fact that "Salo" and "Caligula" got the royal treatment in blu-ray. Talk about turning off the mainstream audience!

Salo is not on Blu-ray in the US... yet.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Salo is not on Blu-ray in the US... yet.

The British BFI Region 2 "Salo" blu-ray is one of the best looking I've seen. Wonder if Criterion could equal it. In the meantime, I continue to love my region-free Oppo blu-ray player. Won't hold my breath for a US "Prince Valiant" or "Black Shield of Falworth" in the near future, either.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences...
Any film that turns off "mainstream audiences" is worth watching.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It's great that Olive is doing Blu-rays. I hope they consider Escape From Zahrain and The Mountain for Blu - these two films would benefit nicely from hi-def treatment.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by John Hodson

After Crack In The World, Olive Films have announced their second BD for July:

I recently bought both Crack in the World and Hannie Caulder on DVD. As Paul said above -- annoying.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
“THANK GOD IT'S ONLY A MOTION PICTURE!” exclaimed the ads at the time, but even with the hype, CRACK IN THE WORLD has become semi-forgotten even within Sci-Fi circles.

John Manchip White & Julien Zimet's takes a hard science approach to it's tale of a driven scientist, Dr. Sorenson (Dana Andrews), who has come up with a plan to fuel the planet by tapping into geothermal energy just waiting to be tapped below the earth's surface. Only one small catch: To do so means blasting a whole into the crust to get to it. And, if hard ground is fissured, it could lead to..........

Andrews is good as the lead, Kieron Moore plays a dissenting Scientist and the lovely Janette Scott is his loyal wife.

In a way, Andrew Marton's film is sort of a precursor to Irwin Allen's disaster pictures of the 70s. Marton is best known for Directing Second Units on films such as BEN HUR and CLEOPATRA, but he also helmed AROUND THE WORLD UNDER THE SEA and other pictures which showed off his eye for spectacle. The budget wasn't huge here, but, it's has some nice visuals including special effects by Eugene Lourie (BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, KRAKATOA), the memorable main lab set design and John Douglas' thunderous score.

As fate would have it, CRACK IN THE WORLD got better reviews at the time than a number of other films that a remembered more today. It's a bit stodgy in parts, the romantic angle is melodramatic and the science was even questionable then, but, it mostly works and should be seen in it's widescreen glory after decades of pan & scan TV prints.

Attachments

• Crack5.jpg
    Crack5.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks