What's new

Cq - 9/10/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
CQ, from director Roman Coppola will arrive on September 10th.

MGM's Special Edition DVD will include a 16x9 transfer, an audio commentary with Roman Coppola and Director of Photography Robert Yeoman, nine filmmaking documentaries, a photo gallery, Codename Dragonfly Films feature, easter eggs and a trailer. Retail will be $26.98.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Great News! Think this film looks very original; campy/artsy fun! I believe it opened only in New York and LA so nobody got to see it.

But we knew MGM would do a great DVD, glad to hear we won't have to wait too long!

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I saw the film at the Seattle Film Festival. It was a lot of fun. How many films try to mix a sexy 60's sci-fi romp, with an experimental, personal film, interweaved within a biting satire of the whole movie making business? It's well acted and beautifully photographed. If anything, it tries to hard.

I'm definately picking it up. But don't know if I could recommend a blind purchase, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
believe it opened only in New York and LA so nobody got to see it.
And Boston. It's not a bad movie at all, though I don't know if I'll pick it up before the first price drop. Lots of good parts, but Jeremy Davies (in the lead role) is sort of an anti-charismatic void. It's sad, because he's surrounded with good supporting characters.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
And Chicago, but it was an exclusive for Chicago's least accessible (in terms of parking, at least) art theatre, Piper's Alley.

I'll be picking it up unseen.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I don't know that there will be a price drop for a long time. MGM does drops, but it seems only for their "big hits" (Original Sin, Heartbreakers) and direct-to-video stuff. An "art" movie like this might not be price-reduced, as they'll need to seel a lot to justify the investment in an SE.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny,
Thanks for the price check. Have you had a chance to watch the dvd yet? I'm still trying to get a review of this DVD.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This played for one week here in Tampa, also.
The film's a bit indulgent, but I really liked it.
I haven't watched all the stuff on the DVD, but I am very, very impressed with the special features.:emoji_thumbsup:
There's an easter egg section that's got icons all over the place, some of which lead to small bits of footage, others back to the main menu. The featurettes are extremely stylish and interesting. The CODENAME: DRAGONFLY section is great as well, with two different versions of the film-within-a-film and commentary from the actress who plays Dragonfly. There's also a small bit of live concert footage with Mellow performing two pieces from the soundtrack album.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Cincinnati's Esquire Theatre had it for a couple weeks as well.

I agree with Ross; if anything, it tries too hard. The soundtrack, especially, is phenomenal. I don't know that I'd recommend a blind purchase, either; while I will be picking it up, I don't know that I'll watch it repeatedly due to the sheer amount of content in this film that makes it seem longer than it is.

I'm glad to see that the video quality on the DVD looks to be a step up from the print that was shown in the theater here. I hoped that the DVD transfer wouldn't be as grainy as what I saw on screen.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Saw this at SIFF and loved it. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Did anyone catch the Kubrick references in this film?
The round table with the ring of lights above it like the War Room from Dr. S

also
The trailer the kid cuts for Dragonfly is based upon the Dr. S trailer

:D
and some others I can't remember right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.