What's new

CPU Overheats...shuts down computer.. (1 Viewer)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
In that case you HAVE to get the Ninja. I have the P180 too, and my (admittedly AMD) CPU hits 40 degrees or so using just the two 12cm extraction fans up there in the corner right next to the Ninja.

That means you can eliminate the fan off the Ninja entirely, and thus some noise.

On the off chance you need even more cooling than that, you then have the option of mounting a 12cm fan on the Ninja itself. That should cool and old-style Pentium 4 3.8 Ghz with no problems at all; the modern CPU's are far cooler than that, so no worries.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
In what case? Because I have the right case? :)

Hmm...but it looks like I chose the wrong motherboard. I've got an ASUS P5B Deluxe. This is from a review on Newegg:

"If you have an Asus P5B Deluxe, Gigabyte DS*, or an Abit AB9 board, you will be unable to properly seat the heatsink on the processor. This is due to the capacitors on the periphery of the CPU getting in the way. For the brave, physical modification of the heatsink will be necessary to allow a proper installation (e.g., hacksaw)."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185038

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
It's a beast allright, and if you know it won't fit on your mobo I guess it's not an option. Pity though, it's as if the P180 was made for the Ninja, and vice versa.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
After further Googling, I found out that the original Ninja works with my motherboard (ASUS P5B Deluxe) but the current one, revision B, does not. Rev. B may or may not touch the capacitors on the motherboard depending on each individual build; It has to do with a bracket or something that was taken out for rev. B but it can be purchased with Scythe's universal retention kit. I've purchased the Ninja and the kit, so I'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks