What's new

CPU Fan Speed Control (1 Viewer)

BillRob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Roberts
I have a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-55plus-S3G, with an AMD2 processor socket, in a Silverstone LC17 case. I have set the BIOS to enable System Smart Fan Control, which reduces the fan speed and noise a little. The CPU fan is still very noisy. The BIOS refers to a CPU Smart Fan Control, which may be enabled when using a CPU fan with a 4 pin connector. The Gigabyte fan model Classic AM2 (GH-ED821-FE) is a 3 pin connector. I cannot install the Zalman CPU cooler because I do not have enough clearance to the case (5.4”). I would appreciate any fan recommendations in 4 pin connectors that would allow me to enable CPU Smart Fan Speed Control. Thanks. Bill Roberts

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If you're using this for a media center application and you are looking for something very quiet, I'd recommend pitching the fan and getting a slower moving solution. Here's what I normally pitch.

Look at something like the Thermalright XP-120 type solution. It's far lower profile then the Zalman and others.

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Therm...p-1-c-251.html

And you can find it and get a slow moving (1200RPM or slower) Fan which will more then adequately cool your processor and stay whisper quiet ;)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Are you sure the noise is your CPU fan?

If your motherboard has a fan that is likely the culprit, those are small fans spinning at high RPM's and are typically very noisy. Video card fans are typically also very noisy.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I have this little bugga, the Zalman ZM-MFC1:

link 1 | link 2

been using it for 2 years now and I love it. I wish it had 4 pin connectors for big 120mm fans but most fans only use 3-pin connectors anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks