CPU died-looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bruce Hedtke, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Two weeks ago, my comp decided to set fire to itself. I ordered a new mobo (well, not a NEW mobo...just a new Gigabyte VA-7vrx because 1-that's what I had before and 2-I couldn't afford to upgrade at the time...I had to buy what I could afford) and installed everything back in. It would power up and run, but it wouldn't boot. Looking at the processor, there are signs of that it got very hot. I was going to have someone bench test it to tell me for sure that it was the cause behind my computers non-booting but I figure it's a good time to upgrade anyways.

So, here's what I'm looking at. I'm not an overclocker so that doesn't sway my decision. What I want is a good, stable, fast processor. I had an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ and I was fairly pleased with it. Looking at www.newegg.com, there is a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ for $95 (the 2100 is going for $62). While not a huge upgrade, I do like the 512k cache and the 333Mhz FSB for $30 more. The question I have about it is that the 2600 has a "Barton" core while the 2100 has a "Thoroughbred" core. Is this going to be a problem?

Bruce

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I couldnt find much info on that particular mobo, but Im pretty sure yer new proc will work in it, but it might take a bios update.

3. Roderick Y

Roderick Y Auditioning

Mike, if all else fails, you still have the option of going with Powerleap. They make adapters for INTEL products but plan to expand in to AMD soon. Basically their adapters let you use newer procs with older mobos.