CP72... Where's the Auto1/Auto2 settings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 23, 2003.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Considering everyone is saying the CP72 is identical to the RP82 except in a changer, I was expecting to see all the same setting options. I got my CP72 last night and could not find any such settings that say Auto1/Auto2, or Normal/cinema1/cinema2, all I found was the Lighter/Darker setting. Having never owned a panasonic player before the menu was very new to me and very unclear. Do these settings exist on the CP72, I cant find them.

2. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Don't go into Setup. Just click Display, click down arrow 3 times, click right arrow once for the normal/cinema1/cinema2/User1/User2 part and up/down to change them. Go right more to go over to Auto1/Auto2/Video option. Hope this helps. Click Display again to exit the display. I just got my CP72 yesterday(Wensday).

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Thanks. So I guess I should use Auto1 and Normal as they did in the shootout correct?

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Yes!

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Where did you all get your CP72's at? I'm trying to find one at a good price.

Thanks

6. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I got my first one at Smartware Etc and they seem to still have both the silver and black in stock. I bought it through Yahoo! Shopping, and they were very helpful and credited my return promptly. The one I got from them did not have the horizontal flashing problem some have complained about.

The one I have now I got from Circuit City - they pricematched Smartware Etc for me. I'm not sure they have any/many left, as I had to go to another store to pick it up.

All the best,

Tim

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I just ordered mine from Crutchfield yesterday on a good combo deal that is no longer working, but there is still a nifty $20 discount for 1st time Crutchfield customers using Mastercard @
    http://www.mastercard.com/specialoff...rd/205601.html

CP72's are $229, -$20 for the Mastercard discount, -$30 mail in rebate and with 5 blockbuster rentals free. $179 + shipping...only the silver ones, though...

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

DaveGTP,

I did the same thing yesturday.

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Oh, and I see someone mentioned Circuit City...I saw one at my local CC here in MI, open box, for $219, so you should keep your eyes peeled for one. My local Best Buy, Sears, ABC Warehouse did not have any...

10. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Ordered mine from Crutchfield Monday 20th and got it Wednsday 22nd using the MC link DaveGTP provided.

11. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I ordered a black CP72 from J&R on Tuesday, and it's arriving today [​IMG]

12. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

i ordered from crutchfield using the master card link, 20 dollars off 200 dollar purchase, plus 20 off friends referral code that is all over the net.. plus 30 rebate, and 5 blockbuster movie rentals...

So $229-$70= $159 plus $11 shipping, not bad for this player.

13. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

Just FYI, the CP-72 doesn't measure exactly the same as the RP-82. We're just putting the finishing touches on the full report, but we have the measurements now. The frequency response is slightly different, with a little mid-band rise and a mild rolloff. Neither one is large enough to be a real problem.

The chroma delay is slightly out of spec on the CP-72, which again is probably not enough to be visible under normal circumstances. But it's just outside the EIA spec (spec is

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Don,
    So what was the final score of the CP72?

15. Don Munsil

Don't know yet, but it's somewhere between the 62 and the 82. Closer to the 82 would be my guess. The frequency response is not scored, so the only scoring difference is failing Y/C delay. That's a high-weighted test though.

Don

16. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Don,

Did any other players get tested as well, like the Denon 1600 or the Philips 963s?

17. Don Munsil

Yes, we tested the 1600, but not the 963s (yet). We're still working on the final results, so I'd rather not say any more until we can get it up. We'll probably have some more players up next week. I just saw a lot of people saying that the CP72 was identical to the RP82, and I wanted people to know that wasn't exactly true.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be cagey, but I don't want to release data until we're sure, and some of the players are undergoing re-measurement to make sure we've got good data.

Don

18. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Cool, thanks Don.

19. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

For those who give such things credence, I just thought I'd let you know that two CP72's I ordered from Crutchfield had the flashing horizontal streak problem. I didn't try for a third.

20. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Don Munsil wrote: