cp72 vs. rp82 help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by pete kw, Dec 28, 2002.

1. pete kw

pete kw Auditioning

Ok, any differences between the two, beside the 5 disk changer? I am probobly getting the cp72, unless i can find a better player for the price. I don't need progressive scan nor any dd or dts since i have a decent receiver. I really want the 5 disk changer for dvds and cds. I greatly appreciate any input on this matter, what are some other players you recommend. thank you.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Pete,
    The RP82 has coax as well as optical digital outs, CP-72 is optical only. That and some CD sound enhancement feature is the only difference between the 2.

3. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

The CP72 also has a smaller LCD Display then the Rp82 due to the 5 Disc carousel. I went through 2 - CP72s that had rolling horizontal white band flashes caused by poorly grounded component outputs most visible in dark backgrounds, so I gave up on the CP72 and went with the RP82. I am a very happy camper now.

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Jason,
    Did that problem also occur with the S-Video output?

5. JasonLC

Gordon,

Yes it did but less noticable then through the component in either interlaced or progressive mode. I have only heard of three other people having the same problem, and they went with the RP82 and it was fixed.

6. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

I'm on my 7th day with my 72 and I am elated. Picture quality blows my Tosh 5109 out of the water for starters. I do have a monitor that takes advantage of progressive scan. My 3 year old Onk does not have DTS ( the Panny has a onboard decoder) we just watched the Eagels DVD (which I could only view in PCM stereo)and my wife and I were blown away by the detail. All in all I'm QUITE satisified with this purchase.
    Kevin

7. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Does anyone know off the top of their head how much the 72 retails for at Best Buy?

Thanks

~Bert

8. JasonLC

My Best Buys don't even carry the CP72. I know the Circuit Citys do and it is $249 MSRP and they only have the silver model. My local Ultimate Electronics had the CP72 $224.99 ON SALE at one time and had plenty In Stock and in black. I bought my RP82 from them for $206.95 ON SALE a couple of weeks ago and they had 7 In Stock and a few more in their warehouses.

9. JimmyA

JimmyA Extra

Panasonic is currently offering a $30 rebate on the CP72. I think it runs through January, but check their website under rebates/promotions to verify.

I got mine for Christmas. Bought online for $223 including shipping.