CP72...Speaker Hook Up for DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_R_M, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

If I have the CP72 and a receiver how would I hook everything up if I want to use my DAC from my receiver for regular audio and DAC from CP72 for dvd-audio? Assuming I want all my sound to be surround (5.1). I need optical cable from dvd to reciever to use its DAC for regular audio? How would I do it for DVD-Audio? Doesn't it have to be hooked up through analog to get surround sound? Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When using a digital connection, your receiver is always doing the processing. ALL of your sound will not be 5.1, only material encoded as such will truly by 5.1 or better. DSPs can give you simulated surround.

Yes, DVD-A is passed via the multi-channel analog outputs. For non DVD-A music playback, you will still use the same analog outputs, but only the channels encoded will be played, ie; if you have a stereo CD, that is all you will get.

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

You can still have your dvd player hooked up both ways, so you can use your receiver's DACs for regular audio, and analog for DVD-A.

Two ways:

1) Hook them both up to the same input on the receiver (Video 1, for example). Then set the default for the one you use most (dig. for example). Then when you want to listen to the other source (DVD-A), you must switch the input to analog.

2) Hook them up to different inputs - Video 1 for normal dvd/cd, Video 2 for DVD-Audio. Then set the default for Vid. 1 to digital, Vid. 2 to analog.

Also, you may want to just try it both ways. You may find no difference, and decide to make it simpler by having only one connection.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Very few receivers have more than one set of multichannel inputs. If you only have one set of pre-amp mlutichannel inputs, then the choice is obvious. Typically, the multi-channel inputs are their own input selection, they do not apply to an A/V input as they may have with older DD "ready" receivers for use with DVD players with built in decoding.

Some receivers allow a switch between digital and analog for a given set of inputs (mine does).

Re-reading my post, I don't think it was clear that I was also suggesting you use both connections, as Jay is saying. I use the second method - two different inputs, for my CD player. For regular CDs, I prefer analog from my CD player, but DTS CDs can only be passed via digital.