What's new

CP72 question on scaling (1 Viewer)

Jorge Rod

Agent
I got the Panasonic CP72 for my new Sony KV-32FS100 TV (4:3 with 16:9 Enhanced Mode). I just read that the CP72 does not do scaling. What do I miss by not having this? Does this mean that I will have trouble watching Anamorphic DVDs?

I got the CP72 because I wanted a changer with the "old" Panny design.

Thanks!

greg_t

Screenwriter
the Scaling feature is used with non-anamaphoric dvd's only. You will be fine with anamaphoric ones. The scaling feature would allow you to use your sets 16x9 mode with non-anamaphoric dvd. Without scaling, I believe you will not be able to use the 16x9 mode with non-anam dvd's.

Jorge Rod

Agent
What is a percentage of non anamorphic vs. anamorphic DVDs? Does this mean that I will only be able to see non anamorphic DVDs in 4:3 leter box or 4:3 zoom modes? Thanks!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
With a 4x3 TV, you really don't have much use for scaling unless you can't stand how some DVD extra features switch back and forth between 4x3, letterbox and/or 16x9. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

If you have a 16x9 TV, OTOH, then it could make good sense to get a player that scales depending on your exact needs.

For example, I have a 16x9 RPTV that does NOT lock into Full/16x9 mode, but I wanted a scaling player anyway for better PQ when zoom/scaling letterbox DVDs and having black side bars, instead of grey, for 4x3 fullscreen material. Also, I wanted subtitles to stay visible when zoom/scaling, which won't if using the TV's Zoom mode. I have enough non-16x9 DVDs (and most that may never get replaced until HD-DVD) and many being foreign films for scaling to matter to me.

Note that there are some players that can provide black side bars for 4x3 viewing (aka 4x3 shrink or pillarbox) in a 16x9 window/mode/display w/out offering letterbox zoom/scaling. For some people, that might be good enough and will keep their options more open.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks