CP 72 Optical or Analog coaxial

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonBrooks, Jan 24, 2003.

1. JasonBrooks

JasonBrooks Extra

This may be a stupid question but here goes. The back of the 72 only has an optical digital output( no coaxial digital). It does have 5.1 and 2 channel Analog output that according to their information, "provides no limitations on sampling frequency". Are there any advantages/disadvantages to connecting each channel seperatly to the 5.1 analog outputs?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, for DVD-audio hi-rez tracks, you MUST use the 5.1 analog outs due to copy protection. For other sources, try both the 5.1 outs and the optical out and see which one you prefer for sound quality.

Personally, I decided to use the 5.1 outs for everything. This had less to do with sound quality and more to do with convenience and a little bass-management weirdness. When using the 5.1 outs, it seemed that the sub channel was low compared to the optical out. I didn't want to recalibrate my sub for each...

3. JasonBrooks

JasonBrooks Extra

Well I hooked up everything with the analog outs but no sound came out. Do I have to change anything in the menu of the 72?

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Turn Multichannel Output on and adjust the speaker settings (note: speaker settings only work for DD and DTS output, not DVD-A). Make sure your receiver is set to 6-channel input (or whatever it may be called on your receiver).

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator