What's new

Coworker needs first Digital Camera. Best one for $200-250? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Title says what I need. I have a coworker who needs basic point and shoot with zoom. Quality is important but will not be printing anything bigger than 4x6. So good optics and marginally good megapixels is desired. She will not go higher on the price.

I just bought a camera and researched heavily cameras in the $500 range, but I have no idea what is good at this price point.

She also does want an LCD panel of course and some sort of memory card (not just built in storage on the camera).

Thanks for any help

CRyan

Screenwriter
One that I have looked over thus far is the PowerShot A540 by Canon. Looks to have good reviews.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the Canon A620. I know it can be had for $240. Possibly less if you shop around.

My parents have a 620 that I've used pretty frequently and I think it's a really great camera in this price range.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'll agree that a Powershot is a good first cam. It takes good pictures, is easy to handle and also has manual controls. You never know when a first-timer will love using manual controls and accel to better, more expensive cams and have it become a hobby.

That's basically me. :) I began with an old 2mp Powershot A40. I played with manual controls once I got the feel of the cam and I now have a Sony H1, which has a few more controls, megapixels and zoom. I'm sure my next cam will be more expensive yet and much more advanced.

If they don't take to manual controls and only want to use it as a point-and-shoot at a birthday party, it'll do the job wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks