Cowboys dumping Carter for Hutchinson...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Jenkins, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Local DFW radio announcing that the Cowboys are switching QBs in about an hour..

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm for it, not a Quincy Carter fan, doesn't seem like he throws the ball real well, doesn't scramble/run as well as they claimed he would, and commands the 31st ranked offense. Not sure if Hutchinson will solve those problems, but I think it is worth a shot to see if the kid can play.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

For sure Carter had an abysmal game Sunday. But he was not even on the field during the botched extra point. And it is the offensive line that contributes heavily to his inability to make plays.

Even so, he has no one to blame but himself for throwing two interceptions when in the red zone. Just putting either one over the end zone, instead of up for grabs, would have secured victory.

I’ve not heard about the switch, but its probably just a diversion for the fans to keep the faith a while longer. I’ll wait until the World Series is over, before I become very concerned about football. If its still too bad, we have hockey and basketball, both with better chances than the Cowboys.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

So, Jerry Jones finally put aside his huge ego and let the coach change QB's? Up until now, Jones has refused to admit that he made a mistake in drafting Carter so high (2nd round, wasn't it?). Most NFL teams had Carter projected as either a late round pick or to be undrafted.
    The Cowboys biggest problem isn't the quarterback, it's Jones. He needs to hire a real general manager instead of trying to be one himself. Of course, he will never admit that Jimmy Johnson built those Super Bowl teams. After all, Jones did play college football, so he's qualified to run an NFL team. [​IMG]

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I watched the game yesterday. What the heck is their offensive coordinator smoking? He needs to make carter more mobile behind that patchwork line - not the place to stay in the pccket (wait until they play a team that can rush the QB instead of the Cards.) And then there is the option play failed TWICE??? If it doesn't work the first time, don't call it again!

The team has the big smith record hanging over them. WHo cares who the QB is next week? Make Emmitt the QB for a week and let him just carry the ball until he gets his record. Then, bench him and play Hambrick.

5. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I have tickets for the game in Detroit, so I hope Emmitt holds off one more week on that record. Somehow, though, I thinks JJ will make damn sure he breaks that record in Dallas...

6. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

You are exactly right! Jimmy Johnson was a great evaluator of talent. Until Roy Williams was taken this year the Cowboys (ie Jerry Jones and his ego) have not drafted a single player that has or will make an impact in the NFL since Jimmy Johnson left. Will Al Davis or George Steinbrenner please call JJ and let him know that if he really wants to win he should let people who know what they are doing run the team!

I doubt Hutchinson will make much of a difference any time soon. He was a decent college quarterback but spent four years in baseball. Yiiikes!!

How 'bout them Cowboys!?!?!

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

There are alot of teams who wish they had an owner like Jerry Jones. I, being a Cowboy fan, couldn't think of anyone else who I'd like to see in his position.

8. Scott Merryfield

9. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

It's not like Jerry had the opportunity draft in the first round so they had to take shots. It's with out a doubt the O-line that is make Q-Car and Emmitt look bad. And regarding Q-Car's scrambling ability; it seems to me that they (coaches) are trying to conforming him to the pocket, all they want him to be able to do as far as being mobile is avoid the sack. But I will say this, if Hutchinson starts for the rest of the season he will beat David Carr for being sacked the most times in the NFL this season. [​IMG]

10. Scott Merryfield

11. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Here's the link. I'm extremely happy with this decision. I am a 26 year fan and I'm tired of the anemic offenses of the last few years. As long as you have a beat up O-line no tight end, and a sub-par QB, the defense will key on the run and keep the offense in long yardage situations. I think it's an accomplishment for Emmitt to have done as well as he has over the last few years. He is constantly facing an 8 man front and run blitzes. Opposing defenses are saying, "We'll take a chance that Carter won't be the guy to beat us." More often than not defenses have made the correct choice. Carter's play last week was one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a QB.
    The Cowboys have not had a good offensive coordinator since Norv Turner left. The play calling since then has been atrocious and is reminiscent of the Ray Handley Giants!. Zampese was horrible (remember the two 4th and inches calls in Philly?) and only the great players left over from the Jimmy Johnson era brought the Super Bowl victory in 1995. Coslet?? Doesn't anyone remember the Bengals and Jets teams he coached?
    Bad salary cap management and bad front office moves have forced the Cowboys to take long shots on draft day. I think Carter is a perfect example of what Jones has done to the Cowboys since Jimmy Johnson left. He has placed the future of the team in the hands of a QB who did not play his senior year in college and missed four games during his junior year. To compound it, Jones took him in the second round when most scouts had him spec'd as a fourth round choice. Now they will start a QB that hasn't played a real game since 1997!
    As long as Jones remains as involved in the day-to-day management of the team, no upper tier coaches will want anything to do with Dallas. (I still have not gotten over Joey Galloway's season ending injury that occured with minutes left in a 30 point loss in game 1 two years ago.) Jones should learn from Steinbrenner. Put your ego aside, dole out the dough, put smart people in place and stay the #%&% out of draft day and personnel management.
    I hope Hutchinson works out, because I won't be able to handle Sundays with Carter.
    WOW! That was theraputic![​IMG]
    Ralph