Cowboy Bebop

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jon_p_s, May 15, 2004.

1. Jon_p_s

Jon_p_s Stunt Coordinator

Where exactly does Cowboy Bebop:the Movie come in, what sessions is it between? I heard it was at the end but I am not sure where.

2. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

It's supposed to take place right before the final two episodes.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It really doesn't matter much, since Bebop is so episodic anyways...

Jason

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

WHerever it fits, it's a great series and movie!

5. david_slater

david_slater Stunt Coordinator

im a big anime fan but i just could not get into this show myself. :p)

6. Jon_p_s

Just watched it and the last four episodes, it seems like it would fit in before the last three instead of the last two.

7. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

8. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If you look at who's in the movie, it makes sense that it takes place before the end of the series.

Unfortunately, the end of the movie creates a MAJOR continuity problem, both for the series, and for any sequel.

The antidote infects everyone's brain, causing them to see butterflies, which is the first stage of being driven mad, in the fashion of Vincent.

In the final episodes of the series, there's no mention or depiction of anyone seeing butterflies or acting strangely as a result.

9. Matt Czyz

Thomas,

I didn't get the impression that this was a permanent side-effect. Just like any disease, it would eventually be phased out of the body. The movie only showed Spike seeing butterflies in the first place (and he only sees one at movie's end), and no one else says a word about seeing anything, IIRC.

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Matt,

Vincent had been exposed to the antidote long ago. He saw tons of the butterflies. This suggests that the antidote takes a very long time to dissipate and that it leaves you in very bad shape by the time it does.

Remember that the head military / intelligence goon thought Victor was a threat because he had the nanotech antidote in his blood. He could not have cared less about Victor using nanotech weapons to slaughter everyone, just as long as all possibility of an antidote was "erased".

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I had a completely different interpretation of the movie. Note how Vincent looks exactly like Spike and even sort of dresses like him. Throughout the course of the show, we were filled in on everyone's past except Spike's. The movie opensns and closes with Spike sleeping. I took it the movie was Spike's dream relating to his past. So no one was actually exposed to anything except him.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I wish the price would come down on this series. Too expensive for a completely blind buy for me. [​IMG]

13. Matt Czyz

It's anime. It's never going to be cheap. DeepDiscountDVD has the best prices for them (17.99), and I've never had any problems with them.

14. James D

James D Second Unit

Mark Zimmer-
    If you want to get a feel for Cowboy Bebop on the cheap, pick up the Best Sessions. It features 6 different sessions, 3 picked by a fan vote and 3 picked by the director. It also features a DTS soundtrack. I have never bought from this place, but I think that they are legit and they are only charging $10 for it.
    http://www.animeliquidations.com/ind...PROD&ProdID=43

15. Jon_p_s

I got volume 1 and 6 for 6.99 each brand new from an amazon.com seller and the other 4 from deepdiscountdvd.

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Most auctioned/Amazon seller copies of Cowboy Bebop are pirated. Be careful if you go that route.

17. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Bandai will be rereleasing the series later this year in a REMIX format, according to www.davisdvd.com/news/animation.html.

It will be remastered in both video and 5.1 audio. Interviews with Japanese and American voice actors, music videos, more extras, and something called "Session 0." (OOoohh!)

Retail will be $30 each.

No details on release dates or method of release (all at one time, one at a time, boxed set). But with that SRP, it seems like six separate releases again (and I'll bet a box set comes out afterwards). I wish Anime companies stop releasing one disc at a time (or multiple-dipping), but I guess that's how they get more money from us.

A beautiful boxed set (like The Perfect Sessions) with slimcases would be perfect for a low SRP of $60. But it's not to be...

So forget those 3-disc versions and those HIGH priced legit 6-disc boxed sets. Wait for these. IF the report is accurate.
    -

18. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

Keith, if you already have the original Cowboy Bebop DVDs, you have already seen "Session 0". It is pretty much a behind-the-scenes DVD that was released in Japan and Bandai took it and spread them out between the six DVDs as special features for America.