What's new

Cowboy Bebop (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Chad,
The 5.1 really expounds on the current 2.0 mix, and it really makes a huge difference. The church scene with Vicious, now reverbs and echoes like a real church. Shots fired here and there now discreetly go from front to back or left to right or vice versa. It does make a huge impact.
I also ditto the boxset...I thought there would be something special, besides the box, that would make me sell off my 6 DVDs, but so far, it doesn't seem as such. I would rather have the R2 DVDs now because the black is really black.
---
Jim,
The movie will be out on R2 DVD hopefully soon! :) (early 2002) And then R1 right after.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
Expect the R2 disc to be out late spring, early summer next year. The R1 will probably be winter of 2002, unless they try to release it theatrically, then it'll be 2003.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So there is no chance of the 5.1's coming to R1? Jeez, seems like we are getting the short end of the stick all the time on Anime. As for the movie, I hope there is a earlier release date, but I would pay big bucks for a theater release. Just don't think it has the American crowd to make big money.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I was very pleased tonight with the CN airing of Bebop, I think there was one or two curse replacements, and a slight reduction of blood, but I'm happy to report that there were no toothpicks or frothy mugs of water. Heck, even the eyecatches AND the full OP/ED(including romanji) were intact. This is almost exactly how the show is shown on Japanese TV. If anyone from CN is reading, thumbs up!
I severely doubt we'll ever see the "director's cuts" here in R1, just too expensive to license and put out, especially sub-only. I'm positive the Bebop movie will be Japanese/English 5.1 (don't ask about DTS, if you want DTS I'm sure there'll be a Japanese disk (with no translation) that will have it)
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yeah, we are getting the bad end of the stick for 5.1 releases, especially in R1, for original Japanese tracks.
There are only a couple of shows I know in Japan that have 5.1 audio tracks on DVD. One of them is Initial D
A movie DVD usually comes out 6 months after the theatrical premiere showcase in Japan. So, expect Cowboy Bebop R2 DVD around February or March, 2002. First limited pressing will most likely get DTS 5.1 along with tons of extras. Normal edition gets DD 5.1 and tends to be a lot cheaper with little to no extras.
Anyway, can't wait to watch this. This movie is definitely worth purchasing when it comes out. :)
K.C.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff,
I tivoed the bebop episodes, and was curious as to how mangled they'd be.... glad to see that they are mostly uncut. I've wanted to watch these, but $$$ forbade me from buying the DVD's till I saw how much I liked it. I'm very picky with my anime!
Jim
------------------
[email protected]
Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
If i was to buy the Box set coming out should I be scared at all of a rereleasing? I would normally be happy about one but with Anime, it's just so damn expensive! I just wish they would hld off on the box set and do these discs with more quality. Also, on a little side note, at Amazon.com it says that the discs contain deleted scenes, I don't remember mine having these?
Jeff: Do you know what is different in the Directors cut compared to the R1 releases?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i just caught the episodes on CN last night and thought they were really cool. another series i'll have to consider...
"Hi, my name is Ted and I'm an anime-addict..."
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
"I wouldn't mind seeing the 13th original broadcast episode "Medley Mish-Mash Blues"
I just copied and pasted this off of Anime on DVD forums. Anyone know anything about this?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
It's more likely that Sony might try to release it in the U.S. by year 2002...doesn't mean it will be in February. February is for Metropolis the movie. But whoever gets the rights also have distribution rights in the U.S..
But by that time, R2 DVD will be out, and most of the anime clubs will have watched it by then, subbed.
The missing 13th episode, or the original 13th episode can be found on the 0 volume of the R2 DVD. :)
KC

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
From what I've been told, the 13th episode was just a recap of the others. IT was all reused footage.
Is it just me or dubs enjoyable. I have yet to watch a horrible dub movie. Cowboy is a great one, Outlaw Star they did a good job with, Tylor is good, Akira is great! When will they release DTS soundtracks for dubs? In fact, rarely on the dubs in 5.1, especially for series. I just hope the movie will not be released limited in theaters and that they just go straight to DVD. I'm just tired of getting the short end of the stick on things like this.
P.S. Anyone watch Noir, I saw the first episode and all I can say is WOW!! When is this being released in R1? And what is this Metropolis everyone is talking about? IS it being released in R1 soon?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
quote: From what I've been told, the 13th episode was just a recap of the others. IT was all reused footage.
Is it just me or dubs enjoyable. I have yet to watch a horrible dub movie. Cowboy is a great one,[/quote]
Tolerable, not great
quote: Tylor is good, [/quote]
No, it's not. Listen to the original actors, you'll hear it's all wrong. And don't get me started on the opening song, even the dubbing director(who I know personally) wishes he could go back and fix it.
quote: Akira is great![/quote]
Again, tolerable
quote: When will they release DTS soundtracks for dubs?[/quote]
Probably never. The only 2 companies that can theoretically afford to license the Japanese DTS tracks won't, and I doubt they'd spend the extra money on such a feature. 95% of DTS lovers respect OSL, and would never listen to it
quote: In fact, rarely on the dubs in 5.1, especially for series. [/quote]
Given that it's A-Expensive to mix in 5.1, and B-the series are 2.0 since they're on TV, I doubt you'll see a 5.1 dub track any time soon on a TV show. Most of Manga's titles have 5.1 dub tracks for non-TV stuff
I just hope the movie will not be released limited in theaters and that they just go straight to DVD. I'm just tired of getting the short end of the stick on things like this.
Actually, you should just suck it up. TRUE anime fans that don't poison their ears with stinky acting are the ones getting the short end of the stick. Tons of dubs are remixed to 5.1 for DVD, while the Japanese 5.1 tracks are virtually never acquired. Petition your local theaters to book the films if you want to see them.>
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on September 04, 2001 at 12:29 AM]

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I don't see what's wrong with Bebops or Tylors dubbing. I will totally agree with you on the intro though, that is a piece of CRAP! Second thing, for respect to the cowboy dub. Sounds like Columbia might have picked up Cowboy the movie and won't use the same dub actors. That hurts. I believe now, the lastest Animes are becoming more advanced. Noir is being shown in HDTV I hear. Also, I think that show is made in 5.1 but that is just a guess.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Noir is not in 5.1. It is in regular stereo, although it is broadcasted in HDTV.
Only a few anime series are in 5.1 on the R2 DVD like Earth Girl Arjuna and Initial D: First Stage.
Hopefully, more series will be in 5.1 soon.
[Edited last by Kong Chang on September 04, 2001 at 02:16 AM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you mean Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door (the movie), Bandai, ADV, and Pioneer were fighting over it, though I hear Bandai has won. Columbia is the theatrical DISTRIBUTOR, not the owner of the film.
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Sony Columbia Japan distributes for Bandai Visual Japan in the domestic Japan market. Bandai Visual Japan is the manufacturer, not the distributor. The distributor would go to Sony. But who you would go get the rights to is from Bandai Visual, not Sony.
Makes sense?
Me neither...rights acquisition is a complicated process of knowing who owns what...and like in some cases, Record of Lodoss Wars was owned by 13 different companies/people who had invested into that series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks