What's new

Cowboy Bebop (1 Viewer)

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
The DVDs in the box set will be the exact same at the ones you can buy individualy. The set will be those DVDs, the CD, and the box. That's it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paul's boxes are something he makes himself, using laser etched artwork. I knew this would happen sooner or later, he's been using copyrighted artwork w/o permission (except for the Kevin Smith box).
I doubt that the official Bandai box will be by Paul, it'll probably be heavy cardboard, and no, no one's seen the box in public yet

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I think Bandai is not saying what else is in the box and keeping it secret. The OST album is not good enough to purchase the box. If Bandai got the Compilation rights, that would be cool and be worth it. Otherwise, it is not worth regetting the R1 DVDs or the box.
Still getting the R2 instead.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
"You can get info on the cases here. Link Removed
Even though I don't have one disc of Cowboy Bebop :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or does the cover design on Bandai's discs make them look like poorly executed bootlegs? They need to hire an artist.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
That depends on which discs you are talking about Marc. For Cowboy Bebop, Bandai used 6 out of the 9 original Japanese covers. (Yes, those front covers are the exact same as the Japanese covers, just minus 3 covers). For some of their other stuff, Bandai did themselves, like Escaflowne is not one bit similar to the Japanese R2 covers.
I'm trying to figure out which other covers are exactly like the Japanese R2 covers from Bandai. I believe Gundam MS 08th Team is also the same as the Japanese (and they also include reversible covers, which is cool).
The cool domestic companies are the ones that can get rights to use the Japanese covers, because those have some great covers, like Pioneer used the artwork for the El Hazard OVA from the Japanese R2 DVD covers onto the R1 boxset. That was cool of Pioneer to do. Most of Pioneer R1 DVD are the same or close to the same as the Japanese R2 DVD.
ADV uses a few of the original, especiall for the RK movie and OVA (only 2 of the 4 covers...first and last).
Some other companies are using the Japanese R2 DVD covers too, like Synch-Point is using 3 of the 6 covers for FLCL R1 DVDs, and they are most likely gonna use the R2 DVD covers for Tenshi ni Narumon (I Wanna Be An Angel).
TRSI may (or may not) use the R2 covers for Boogiepop Phantom and Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His & Her Circumstances).
Media Blasters uses almost the same artwork for Rurouni Kenshin tv series as the R2 DVDs (except that Media Blasters artwork is used for keepcases, while the R2 DVDs are for jewel cases).
Hmm, there are more examples, but I can't remember... *sigh*

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Esca DVD covers ARE Japanese covers. They just come from the Rental tapes. The Japanese LD art was used on the US sub VHS tapes
Jeff Kleist

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
For those who have not seen the series, and want to see some (or all) before they buy, Cartoon Network is going to show Cowboy Bebop starting Labor Day weekend, in a new "adult" timeslot - so there will be little or no editing.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
little or no edits, yeah, right. I'll watch the first ep just to see how much people can sweat and drink water
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Okay, I got confused with the two covers...the ones that Bandai uses for the DVDs are Japanese covers for the "rental" VHS tapes. The ones that Bandai used for the VHS tapes are what the Japanese used for the LDs and VHS sell through videos, as well as the new DVDs out in R2.
You can see all the covers here at this link:
http://www.anime.net/escaflowne/pro...ctically. So, they are practically the same.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Kong Chang: Are you saying that there will be more too the box then originally announced? What's the difference between the R1 release and the R2 release?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Kong's going to say the image quality, but the only real difference is the IRE setting, which in Japan is 0 but the US 7, which results in deeper blacks in the R2 version
Other than that, there is no real difference
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Beside the fact that the video bitrate is also higher on the Japanese version.
All the extras on the R1 releases are on the Japanese Volume #0 of Cowboy Bebop.
The only thing Bandai doesn't have rights to, yet, are the compilation remixes & re-edits of 6 episodes (2 volumes in R2), each episode given a 5.1 remix and the original full length director's cut restored to print.

Rob_McK

Auditioning
Slightly off topic, but for those that haven't seen it, CB will be on Cartoon Network on cable starting this weekend. (Can't remember what day exactly.)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Kong, do you mean that the R1 discs aren't the directors cuts? If so, hoe much has been edited out? Do you think that there is more too this box set then originally planned? Any chance they would use the R2 prints? Or put some of those episodes in 5.1? I pray that this box set isn't a repackaging of the original 6.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
The box set is a repackaging of the original 6 region 1 DVD's with a soundtrack and the box itself.
The discs just now being released in Japan with the 5.1 mixes are probably never going to make it over here. They're really just souped up audio versions of some of the key episodes and this is the first time I've heard mention of new footage from cuts going back into it (even more reason it won't make it over here, the costs to dub a few minutes of footage would be horrendously expensive). And the dubs are what sells anime in the US.
If anything, I'd say grab one of the new 5.1 remixed discs if you've got a codefree player and check it out. It may be pretty decent. There's some good potential for remixed audio on it.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Chad,
Since I already sold my 6 DVD R1 of Cowboy Bebop, I can't tell you what has been cut or what has been added, w/o watching the original and then watching the resouped up version. However, the time on the DVD is longer than it should be (I really don't think they include the extras as time reference). According to many Japanese (and on the CB website), there are some scenes reinserted back and it's pretty hard to tell what has been inserted back sometimes.
First disk contains 3 episodes, handpicked by the director: Episode 1, 5 & 19.
Second disk will contain 3 episodes, handpicked by the fans (the top three episodes with the most votes), via the CB website, and those will be given the 5.1 audio treatment and resouped director's cut.
My guess is that the difference probably has to be a few lines and a few violent scenes that were edited. Since I don't have the R1's (or R2's), I can't tell anymore.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
My question now would be, does the 5.1 make a huge difference? I know a lot of reissues with 5.1 soundtracks don't really change much. Second, I happen to think Cowboy has one of the best dubs out there, but I wish I knew footage if any was reinserted into the episodes cause I hate knowing I don't have the directors cut. Is it just me or is there no real bonus to buying the box set? I like the soundtrack and all but I can't drop that much at once just for the same discs I've seen with no improvements.(and there is room for improvement) But, I guess in the end my love for the series will buy whatever version comes here in the box. I just wish all Anime would get the Akira treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks