What's new

Cowboy Bebop (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know anything about the collection being released? What about the movie? Is it made? Anything you know would be great.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
Doubtful to say when the movie will make it's way over here. My guess is that since it is being released in Japan this fall we might get it the first quarter of next year here in the U.S.
As far as the box set, last thing I heard it was going to be released around October/November. Bandai-ent.com used to have a list of their release dates all the way to the end of the year (and the box set was included in that list), but they have since shortened the list to only include the next couple of months.
Details are still sketchy on the box set. Rumors of what the box set will include range from an extra disc full with extras (from I don't know where), to a free action figure (bandai loves doing this), to different packaging for the DVDs, to the actual movie itself being included, or to just have the same discs that are out now all inside a box set.
At this point you might want to wait and see before either purchasing the current discs or getting rid of them if you already have them. If you want to keep an eye on these developments www.animeondvd.com is as good a place as any.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Is the movie being released to the Theaters overseas? Also, what kind of extras would there be, I kind of find the extras on the discs lame. Also, are the films framed right? I find titles letter cut off a little, I have the felling it should be at 1:85.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Cowboy Bebop is a TV show, the OAR is 1.33:1. What you're seeing is overscan cutoff. The movie, Knockin on Heaven's Door may be shown on the con circuit this summer, depending on whether or not Sunrise finishes in time, and is likely framed at 1.85:1. I believe it's due out in Japanese theaters in late July/Early August
No word on the box set, though Paul Champagne(I think that's right) has recently made a metallic laser etched box for Bebop that's lovely. The extras and covers on the discs are identicle to the Japanese release, and frankly are much better than the absolutely nothing that most Japanese releases get. Frankly, the anime industry tends to trash everything, so when a disc DOES have extras, be very thankful. I'm hoping that Bandai will get a commentary on the Bebop movie, after the superb one on Wings of Honneamise, I can't wait to hear a Sunrise one
Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wish they had time to do an Ein vinette before the movie, he's the man
------------------
Jeff Kleist
Otaku No DVD columnist/Review Team Member
Link Removed

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Is the movie being released to the Theaters overseas? Also, what kind of extras would there be, I kind of find the extras on the discs lame. Also, are the films framed right? I find titles letter cut off a little, I have the felling it should be at 1:85.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
The movie, Cowboy Bebop: Doorway to Heaven (or "Knockin' on Heaven's Door, the original translation is "Heaven's Door" or "Doorway to Heaven") will come out in July, 2001, methinks.
According to the cowboybebop.com webpage (OFFICIAL site), we have the four main characters, Spike, Jet, Faye, and Ed. We have characters that have already been introduced: Ein, the two Bounty Hunter Show people: Judy and Punch, Antonio, Carlos, Jobin. And then we have the new characters for the movie: Vincent, Electra, Rasheed, and Lee Samson. Plus one new mecha: the Mars Military Battleship.
The movie's plot should take place roughly somewhere in the early 20-something episodes.
This movie will be distributed by Sony Pictures Japan throughout Japan. I hear Bandai USA is still trying to negotiate for the rights to showcase here in the states. We'll see.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
Highly unlikely that it will be showcased here in th U.S. There is hope with the Akira re-release and all, but even that one I bet will be limited.
Hopefully, bandai or somebody else with a good track record for DVDs will pick up the movie DVD release.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Well, it has been confirmed on animeondvd.com that Bandai is not going to sell the boxset stuff separately for those who already bought all the 6 DVDs of Cowboy Bebop. Meaning, that if you have already bought them, and you want the boxset, then you'll just have to sell them off now before the glut of DVDs on the market makes it harder to sell yours off.
Makes you really go hmm...
Welp, time to sell my copies now...and wait till the boxset comes out.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Bad new on the etched box front. Apprerently, Bandai has told Mr. Champagne to cease production on the Bebop boxes.
An understandable shame. I hope they come to an agreement to allow him to continue production. I'd like one...
-g

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
That's old news.
Actually, Paul is in negotiations with Bandai and the unmentioned Pioneer. The box will probably most likely contain new art licensed and supported by Bandai USA.
Let's hope for something good. :)
K.C.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Bandai announced at Otakon that they are going to sell the box seperately, you just won't get the soundtrack CD (which you can mail-order easily). Otherwise, before anyone asks, the discs are identical
There is currently OFFICIALLY a war over the Bebop movie, probably between ADV,Bandai, and Pioneer. Unofficially, Bandai's got it, and wants to do a theatrical release, so I wouldn't count on seeing a domestic DVD until X-mas 2002 at the earliest
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I am now hearing that Cowboy Bebop will be on roadshow (this term, "roadshow", is what the Japanese term used for movies that are being nationally distributed throughout Japan...kinda like moving from city to city) in Japan, come September 1st (and not later in the month).
The DVD has yet to be announced, but add 6 months to it for R2 DVD, and it should come by February, 2002, at the very latest.
Now that I have seen what the Japanese R2 DVDs look like, I may acquire the R2's instead. I still love my compilation disc #1 and I can't wait to get compilation #2!! Woo-hoo 5.1 dolby digital surround sound! :)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So when I buy the box set am I getting the nice Paul guys box or what? Why do you have to mail in for the CD soundtrack? Any word if they will leave room for the movie in the box?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
So far, the box from Paul Champagne will be a new designed box by Bandai USA. However, I have no idea what else is gonna be in the box besides the first OST album, which I don't think qualifies as an extra... I thought there would be more out.
Anyway, still thinking R2 now...the black is very black in the Japanese. Much better, IMO. :)
K.C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks