1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy Bebop Theater Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ferguson, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Anyone know anything about Cowboy Bebop : Heaven's Door? Most importantly, when would it be released on R1 DVD? Also, does anyone know anything about the box set and what would be included? thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door comes out in Japanese theaters on July 26. I doubt you'll see it on R1 DVD before next spring at the earliest, given that no one has officially bought the rights to it yet. Check outhttp://www.cowboybebop.com for more info plotwise
    The extras disc contents for the box set will probably be announced at Anime Expo is my guess, and no, you won't be able to buy it seperately(unless all the screaming and petitions work)

3. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

hallo jeff,
    when is the anime expo? i can't wait to pick up the box set (i've seen the entire first disc at the recommendation of a good friend) and can't wait to finish. the box set looks like a nice way to do that. any extras would be welcome, of course, but not too necessary.
    also, i had read somewhere (read: rumour) that key episodes would be receiving special treatment with the audio and video?
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

4. Jeff Kleist

AX is next week in Anaheim CA
    What you've read about are some Japanese "best of" discs where the audio has been remixed to 5.1 on certain episodes(or certain scenes of episodes, I'm not sure).

5. Alex Johnson

thanks for the repy, jeff.
    are you attending? can you post here again with any information on the box set (if it is given there)?
    many thanks,
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

6. Jeff Kleist

No, I'm on the wrong coast, but Anime Expo has become the "industry con" where all the major announcements are made
    Otakon, which I staff and is about a month later, and more fan-fun oriented than Expo.
    News and annoucements from the event are sure to be posted onhttp://www.animenewsservice.com andhttp://www.animeondvd.com as they happen
    Jeff Kleist

7. Alex Johnson

thanks for the links, jeff. much appreciated.
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

8. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Anime Expo will be held in Long Beach Convention Center, in Long Beach, CA...not Anaheim, CA...we've moved away from Anaheim for good (too small for us lately).
    It will be held July 5-7th.
    This is a very international convention...we get people from all over the globe, somewhere from 20 some different countries attend this convention (so, people from South America, from Europe, from Australia, from Japan, etc. come to this convention).

9. Alex Johnson

thanks for the info, kong.
    will you be posting any information you can find about the box set here or anywhere else? any information (from anyone in attendance or otherwise in the know) would be most appreciated.
    many thanks,
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

10. Chad Ferguson

Did anyone get any info about this show? I know they previewed the trailer which looks totally awesome! Any word on American release date and the box set? Anyone think the movie will be released in the box?

11. Jeff Kleist

The movie will not be in the box
    No one has officially picked it up yet
    Maybe this weekend at Otakon Bandai will announce it, but it's still way up in the air. Someone WILL pick it up, probably Bandai, and wurd on the street is that they're targeting fall 2002 for the DVD
    Jeff Kleist

12. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

While they may have never outright officialy stated that they have it, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that Bandai Ent. will be releasing it over here. Heck, they showed the trailer at their panel at AX.
    As for the box set, it looks like it will be out in November and will cost $200. The extra will be a soundtrack CD (no details on what it will consist of). They would like to offer the box/CD to people who alredy bought the discs, but they have to work out the legal problems.

13. Jeff Kleist

Legal problems.....what possible legal problems could there be, unless their license limits them to a certain number of copies. Hmmmm. At the very least they should be able to offer the box damnit.
    I'll have more info on this this weekend
    Jeff Kleist

14. Chris Sypal

They are probably currently limited to selling the Box/CD only with the DVDs. If they were to sell it seperately, they would have to get a seperate licence for that, which would cost a lot more money.
    Not to mention that in order to work out the right for the cd they would have to go through Sunrise, Bandai Visual, Victor Entertainment, JASRAC, and probably even more companies.

15. Jeff Kleist

JASRAC, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe that that is the national sales tax agency of Japan. A JASRAC seal means that tax is included in the price.
    Jeff Kleist

16. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

JASRAC is the Japanese equivalent of the ASPAC or RIAA and they control all the music properties and royalties...not just that, they also control all video properties and royalties.
    JASRAC has a lot of power in Japan.

17. Chad Ferguson

$200 is sure a lot! I paid just over that for the 11 pack Oliver Stone set and that was Canadian money! When will the high pricing stop with animations? Cowboy is mainstream enough that the price does not need to be that high. Where is the cheapest place for Animes?

18. Chris Sypal

A few points:
    1) The high pricing will stop when more people buy anime. Not counting shows like Dragonball, and Gundam Wing, it is not quite as mainstream as you would think.
    2) $200 is the MSRP. You'll probably find it online and at stores for about $150-$170.
    3) "anime" is an Japanese word, and thus a collective noun. You don't need to ad the "s" to the end. (We don't call Kurosawa's movie "Seven Samurais" do we?

19. Alex Johnson

i'm all over the box set when it is released -
    anyone have any more information from any of the conventions?
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

20. Chad Ferguson

Has the movie been released in theaters yet?