Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heavens Door

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ferguson, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Is there any word on any of the regions DVD releases for this film? I haven't totally seen the whole series yet but i'm almost there. I have heard nothing but the best of reviews for this film and I just have to get some info on it, anyone help me out?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think some company got the rights to it and will release it, but its not out in America yet. There is a Japanese one, I guess.
    I haven't seen this series yet...maybe a christmas present?

3. Chad Ferguson

Is it done playing the theaters?

4. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Yes, Chad.
    Sony Picture Japan along with Bandai Japan will be releasing this movie on DVD in R2 Japan market in January, 2002. It will only have DD5.1 (since the movie never had DTS). There will not be a limited edition as many think there will be (since the movie did not do so hot in the theaters in Japan...to my chagrin). Price is 8800 Yen (which is close to $74 USD). No English subs. Possible Japanese subs will be included (which makes it even easier to make a English script for it).
    And accordingly, Sony Pictures Japan wants Sony Pictures US to distribute this movie in the USA rather than the smaller anime companies. This would make Cowboy Bebop movie the 2nd biggest anime movie title that Sony has shown in the USA (right after Metropolis the anime movie), if that is true.
    The only problem this film faces is the story plot deals with 1) terrorism and 2) anthrax-like biological hazard that the terrorist uses. And with what is happening in the U.S., I don't know how the film will do, even for an anime one considering the big event nowadays with terrorism and anthrax.
    [Edited last by Kong Chang on November 14, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Chad, you and a couple others keep asking and asking about this film
    You will not see it in English for at least a year, especially if they're putting it in theaters. Bandai had a sub print of Escaflowne: Girl in Gaea in August 2000. In January, we'll get a dubbed print making the art house circuit, that's almost 18 months later!
    You'll either have to import the R2 ($90+ after shipping) and hope that someone makes a script for DVDSubber (Region Free HTPC required), OR find an anime con that has a 35mm theater showing the subtitled print (Otakon or Anime Expo is your best bet). Of course, nothing's stopping them from releasing the subbed print NOW. *Sigh*
    As Kong said, the subject matter is not friendly to the current political climate, AND once they decide to release they'll dub it, I;m sure, so that may make it even LONGER

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Has "Metropolis" made the art house round yet? I would like to see this flick and since there are no specialty theatres where I live, the only way I am going to see it is on DVD. There is no way it will ever see a wide enough theatrical release to ever make it to my neck of the woods.

7. Jeff Kleist

Metropolis starts in January, DVD early/mid summer is the current plan
    Jeff Kleist

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Thanks

9. Chad Ferguson

Now by theaters do you mean a full release or just a L.A. and New York release? I believe Metropolis is coming out im March and I have not seen it in any theaters. Also, If Sony picked it up and only released it for a limited screens, what's the point in picking up the theaterical rights? Cause it sounds like Bandai still has the DVD rights to the movie for R1. One last question, what is exactly on the Japan release coming out on Jan 15th?

10. Jeff Kleist

Metropolis is probably going to be a Crouching Tiger style release, where it expands every week. The theatrical run starts January 25th, undisclosed where it's opening first. The R1 DVD will be out in March.

Bandai does not have the DVD rights for Metropolis, and given that Columbia has also seemingly purchased Cowboy Bebop, don't expect a release until at least next fall on the theatrical run, and the DVD for Christmas or early next year

The Japanese disc features Japanese 5.1, no English subs, textless intro and opening credits, 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and trailers.

11. Chad Ferguson

What kind of theater release are we talking about with Cowboy Bebop?

12. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Sony will most likely dub it for nationwide release. They may use the same actors, or they may use different actors. It's unsure. But the consensus from everyone is that Sony does definitely has the rights to the CB movie at hand.
    What they plan to do with it is still up in the air because of the content in the movie.
    Otherwise, the R2 is worth the purchase. No limited edition because the movie did horribly in theaters in Japan. [​IMG] But the movie is good, just released at the wrong time. *sigh* Who knew 9-11 would happen when the movie just got started away in Japan's theaters?

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    As long as Sony uses the same voice cast as in the TV series, I'll be happy. The Cowboy Bebop series still has the distinction of being one of a handful of anime releases possessing an English dub "that doesn't suck".

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Cowboy Bebop doesn't just have a dub that doesn't suck, it is well written so that it keeps the original story and dialogue intact but matches mouth movements pretty well.

15. Chad Ferguson

Does Sony have the R1 DVD rights as well?

16. Jeff Kleist

It is 99% certain that they bought the video rights with the theatrical rights.

If Sony follows their current patterns, the prints will be subtitled, and there will be a dub on the DVD. Again, don't expect to see it until fall at least due to the subject matter. I just watched 'The Accidental Spy", Jackie Chan's newest HK movie the other day, and Disney owns the rights to that. I think it'll be a long long time before that sees the light of day (Super Anthrax is in the movie)