What's new

Cowboy Bebop DVD - Question for the fans... (1 Viewer)

Lane_S

Agent
I just picked up my copy of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, and have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with it's Japanese version, Knockin' On Heaven's Door (KoHD).

First, I've seen and love the series so I am fairly familiar with the characters and style. I'm at work, so I closed my door and only watched the first 15 minutes or so (I'll watch the whole movie tonight). The thing that struck me is that there seems to be a very pop feel to the soundtrack instead of the jazzy/bebop music that runs throughout the TV show. I switched between the English and Japanese soundtracks, and the songs seem to be the same on both.

I heard three pop songs in that first 15 minutes and I'm really hoping that the music takes on more of the TV series feel as the movie progresses. I know that the series used a wide range of music styles, but this first couple of chapters left me - well, "worried" is too strong a word, but it really stood out as "radio friendly" whereas the TV series music complimented the visuals more.

Again - this question may be early since I've only seen a small part of the film and I'll know the answer tonight, but was the music on the Japanese KoHD release different? If so - how much? Do I need to seek out an R1 compatible copy?

As to the disk, it looks gorgeous and I can't wait to hear the 5.1 (just a pair of decent speakers here are work, with the sound kept low). The Bebop and Faye's ship are gorgeous in all of their movie budget glory. And the extras look good too. It's a real treat to finally see the people behind the voices from both countries.

I've been waiting to see this from the day it was announced, and I can't wait to position the comfy chair, turn the phone ringer off and get immersed in some serious Bebop goodness in a few hours.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The music is the same as the Japanese version. There are "pop" type songs sprinkled throughout the TV series as well. It was more than just jazzy type stuff.

Jason

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Nope, the music hasn't changed in the movie at any point that I know of. I like the music in the movie quite a lot, and found myself humming "Ask DNA" and "What Planet Is This?" (totally kick ass tune) fairly often. On a scale of 1 to 10, the CB movie score rates a Totally Awesome.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Trust me, the music keeps getting better as the movie progresses. The closing end theme is just terrific and you'll be humming the tune long after it's over.

Lane_S

Agent
Thanks everyone. It's also been several years since the series and I'm sure the music director's tastes and style has changed as well. I just can't help but hear "Tank!" in my head whenever I think of anything Bebop - but I am more than willing to give the film and the score every chance.

I just wanted to make sure they didn't change the score significantly from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" to try and make it more accessible to an American audience. If they had, I was going to try and find an R1 copy. But from the responses, it looks like that not an issue.

Yay - it's 5:00 here! I'll be riding the Bebop in about an hour.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I just wanted to make sure they didn't change the score significantly from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
If that was the case, we'd be having Norah Jones doing the ending credits and that if-i-have-to-listen-to-it-one-more-time-i'll-kill duet with kid rock and sheryl crow. believe me, we're lucky to have the music we do have. I shudder to think about what this release might have turned into had it been processed through the western studio meat grinder.

~j

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I bought the movie yesterday and I loved it, some of my friends are in love with this show and always preach about it to me..

I have one question:

Why does immortal Vincent die at the end; and although people were saved with the vaccine, those people will never die..

-Bert

PS - Anyone know where to get a session boxsets as opposed to buying 5 or 6 DVDs of sessions/episodes?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
You can get all six DVDs for the great price of $98.90 at Amazon.com. I got mine there for only $80 after a 10% coupon and a 10% share the love discount. That is the cheapest price for a non-bootleg set of Bebop that I have seen on the internet.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The thing that struck me is that there seems to be a very pop feel to the soundtrack instead of the jazzy/bebop music that runs throughout the TV show. I switched between the English and Japanese soundtracks, and the songs seem to be the same on both.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Personally I agree. I didn't dig the movie music nearly as much as about 1/2 of the TV soundtracks. I found it a little too poppy throughout, although the series does indeed have its share of pop musicy-sounding stuff. Tony's right about Bebop. I picked up all 6 Bebop via a free $15 Amazon GC I got from a deal-hunting site, lots of trivia nickels, and love - $69 shipped for all 6 discs (it would have been $84 without the $25 gc). It took some time and effort to save the extra dollars though.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
You can get all six DVDs for the great price of $98.90 at Amazon.com.
Thank you sir. That price tag is immense though compared to what I am finding.

My friend recommended me checking eBay for the European 1-26 session set and I have found good results for about $25. I will probobly order one tonight, does anyone have reasons to choose the USA 1-26 Perfect Sessions set over the European one (The European one with the 4 character cover art link removed by Administrator and the USA one being Spike standing on a train with a blonde girl sitting next to him .

All appreciated.

-Bert

Edit: Does the Amazon boxset have extra sweet features and such?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Bert, I have a few words of advice for you...

DON'T BUY THAT SET! IT IS A BOOTLEG!

That is the US box art, but they use that on the bootleg sets. The bootleg sets are 3 discs usually, and come in a digipack. I'll send you a private message with a link to what a bootleg set looks like on Ebay, since I can't post it here.

Does the Amazon boxset have extra sweet features and such?
They sure do. The extras that are spread across all six of the discs are Character Information, "Tank!" full length music clip, Video Interview with Sunrise Staff, Phone Interview with Shoji Kawamori, Video Interview with Shinichiro Watanabe, Yoko Kanno Interview, Voice Actor Interviews, Keiko Nobumoto Interview, Tank! Music Video Remix, Textless Ending, and an Image Gallery.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Phewf!!!!!

The bootleg is the one I provided cover art link or other one?

Regardless, thank you. I even read a disclaimer on info on one of them that said no bootleg (50/50 chance it was the one you know is a boot..how dare they!)

Thanks

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I just sent you a PM about the bootlegs, and with some examples. What was the one that said it was not a bootleg? I want to take a look at it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You will never find Cowboy Bebop 1-26 for $25 unless it's a bootleg.

You're going to pay at least 70-$80. MINIMUM

In fact, as far as I can tell everything on that site is a boot

Joel C

Screenwriter
I ordered one of those "authentic" 3 disc sets a while ago. I thought it might be fake, but I e-mailed the guy and he swore it was R2 coded and an official release.

I got it for $35, it was R0, a bootleg, and the video quality SUCKS. So many artifacts from stuffing 8+ episodes per disc (which could be done with the right mastering), it looked like VCD.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
No offense Joel... but OF COURSE he is gonna say that! A R2 set of Bebop would probably be >well over< $300... probably more like 4 or $500. I have seen the set you have and it DOES suck! :)

Just remember kids:
"If it sounds too good to be true... it probably is"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks