What's new

Covert art for 1776 DVD (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, this is in the right forum.

I just found out that "1776" finally -- FINALLY -- has been announced for DVD release on 2 July 2002. But when I aw the cover art, I was very intrigued.

The only characters on the cover are Jefferson and his wife embracing, Richard Lee riding his horse, and the troupe for "Cool, Considerate Men". Nowhere on the front cover are Howard DeSilva (Ben Franklin) or William Daniels (John Adams). Anyone who is a fan on this movie knows that John Adams is the focus of the movie, not Jefferson, and Franklin has a more prominent role than Jefferson.

I can't believe that the two main characters of the movie are not even on the cover. Considering that Daniels also performed his role multiple times on Broadway, I can't believe that he would have denied the rights to use his image on the cover, and it just looks wrong to not have Adams or Franklin on the cover.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Yet the perfect capper to how misguided this whole "1776" DVD project has been. A senselessly butchered cut from the Laser Disc version, false promises of deleted scenes supplements of the cut LD footage that never were, the director curiously contradicting himself when he trashes the LD cut to justify this bad version, and to top it off a cover that misrepresents the thrust of the film and is ugly (this is a Columbia problem in general. Witness their awful cover of "First Men In The Moon" and compare it to their LD cover)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks