Covering for IB outlet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tracy_L, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Tracy_L

Tracy_L Stunt Coordinator

Those of you with IB's, what have you used to cover the manifold hole? I went to Lowes and looked at their 20 x 20 air returns, but didn't like them. I'm looking for something to blend more with the white ceiling. We looked at some egg crate fluorescent light covers, but not invisible enough for me.

I really like the look of Scott S's cover he used over at the "Cult" here , but can't figure out how it was done.

I'll be cutting a roughly 20"x20" hole in the ceiling, and would appreciate any suggestions,,,....

Thanks
    Tracy

2. Denis P

Denis P Extra

I will be putting 4 AV15's in my ceiling sometime this fall. I will also have a 20 x 20 hole to cover. I plan to make something thing very much like a "regular" speaker grill cover. I'm going to build a frame (like a picture frame) out of like 1 x 2 (actually 3/4 x 1 1/2) inch lumber and cover it will coarse weave cloth. I plan to put hinges on one side and Fastex fasteners on the other edge to keep it closed.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Scott's outlet cover is just a white version of a standard grill. Painted wooden frame (appears to be cut from a single piece of MDF) covered with white grill cloth. He's used tape to hold the cloth in place. Most people use spray adhesive and or staples to hold the colth in place.

[​IMG]

Although he successfully used banana plugs as fasteners, I'd suggest using the 'Fastex' brand fasteners or industrial strength velcro (available at most home center stores)

4. Tracy_L

Tracy_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Thomas & Denis

Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees :b

Gone DIY thus far, no need to deviate now.

Thanks
    Tracy