What's new

Coverart: The Undiscovered Country (1 Viewer)

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Hey

Here's the artwork for the collector's edition release of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country which should be out early next year. No big surprises really as it follows the same format as the rest of the releases. Will almost certainly be a two disc set anyway, although disc specs have yet to be released.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Best opening shot in a movie ever (well, post-opening credits, at least). Can't wait to buy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's the original art for the movie poster, but without the "Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country" type removed from the explosion area.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I really hope that the theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is preserved on this release.

Neil

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Somehow, based on the title of the DVD, it looks like we're going to get the 113-minute extended cut that's been on video in the last decade.

I really hope that for this DVD, they do a tribute to DeForest Kelley. He had some great moments in this film where McCoy as diplomat and soldier really shined, particularly during the courtroom scene and the finale. Because this was his final appearance as McCoy, there definitely needs to be a DeForest Kelley tribute.

As for the Matt Jeffries tribute, it had been suggested that it was going to be on the upcoming Generations 2-disc set. I think it would go better on this disc, since it's the final Original Series-inspired film.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is a perfect movie for seamless branching. That would be the perfect way to preserve both versions of the film.

I think it's safe to say that this DVD will probably have a commentary track, a text commentary track and motion menus. :)

Neil

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Not to be a total dork, but McCoy did show up again on ST:TNG (first episode, I think). I do however, agree 100% that there should be some kind of tribute.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
DeForest Kelley's cameo appearance on the "Encounter at Farpoint" premiere episode of ST:TNG was in 1987. The Undiscovered Country was released in 1991. So this was indeed his final appearance as McCoy.

Sorry, Matt, I think this makes me even more of a dork than you... ;)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The current ST6 DVD does not have the correct AR. It's non-anamorphic, to boot.

Can't wait to get this one.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking foward to it as well.

I have the old release and want to get an anamorphic version of this fine film.

On my widescreen set, the picture is so out of OAR, that i have to move the picture up the screen to get all of the klingon subtitles. This means that I crop of the top of the film.

I haven't got the re-releases so far but do want this and a anamorphic Generations.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
??? why would they AR be messed with, after all the other Trek DVDs have the proper AR
Maybe I can help. I had no idea that this movie was in 2.35:1. Every incarnation of this film that I have seen or owned including the previous DVD were 1.85:1. Is this movie really in 2.35:1? If yes why they released it in 1.85:1 every time at the moments where they did release the other movies in 2.35:1. If they release it in 2.35:1, are they going to cut off the top and bottom or are we going to have more information on the sides than the old release?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nothing about whether it will contain the theatrical cut of the movie, though. Not buying the disc without it.

(Ironically, the DVDFile news item is next to an ad for a petition to put the original versions of the Star Wars films on DVD)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Star Trek VI was filmed in Super 35. The effects were shot at 2:1 and that's about the ratio of the current widescreen transfer. The film was shown theatrically with anamorphic release prints and an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. And DVDFile says it will be 2.35:1! Thank you, Paramount!

Neil

Britton

Screenwriter
I would really, really hope this has the theatrical cut. I'm not a big fan of the Colonel West unmasking scene that came straight from a Scooby Doo episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks