Coverart: Spy Kids 3D

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TomWoodward, Oct 9, 2003.

1. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Hey

Here's another bit of early artwork for you - Spy Kids 3D. Dimension Home Video will be releasing it the 24th February next year. No other details at the mo I'm afraid, but I hope it includes some ruddy glasses! Looks like another release might be available the month after as well on the 3rd March although I can't confirm that at the mo. Anyway, here's the artwork:

[​IMG]

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Guess we'll have the boxset soon with the longer versions...

3. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Nice lookin box. I love these movies.

4. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

I hope this one comes with a NON-3D version available as well, on the same set.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The DVD will very likely include a flat only version as well as the original, mostly 3-D print. It will come with glasses for sure. Better quality plastic frame glasses (with higher quality lenses) will be available at rental stores or online.

6. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

I loved Spy Kids 1 & 2, but this one was an absolute mess. 3D or not, this is not worth a purchase.

7. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

How dare you. This was one of the best movies of the summer. Fun ride. Worthy of a purchase by anyone...or at least a rental.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I'm in line for this one already; if I don't get it, my kids will kill me!

9. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

This film made me want to cry, it was so inferior to the other two. Maybe I'll give it another shot on DVD.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Because of the poor 3-D system this was presented in in theatres (the red/blue anaglyph technique), this didn't look great even in theatres. Having a flat only version on there will avoid people complaining about the limited effectiveness of the anaglyph on their TV; they can simply choose to not watch it.

Too bad they don't make a field sequential version available also (easily done) as it would be 1000% times better and feature full depth and natural color, but of course then we are getting into making it necessary for the consumer to have special LCD glasses which run $40 or so.

It would be wrong to make the disc flat only, as the red/blue version is representative of the theatrical presntation, but if they want to put a modified version on there as well, it is Ok with me.

The red/blue stuff looks much better if you boost your color a bit past normal, and PC monitors will really improve it as well.

Too bad that SPY KIDS 3-D is how the younger generation will think 3-D is supposed to look. I just returned from seeing 35 of the 50 3-D movies from the 1950's at a California festival, all projected as intended with the clear polarized glasses. The effect was amazing, with full color or normal black and white, no ghosting, etc. The red/blue system with it's blurry, poor color and ghosts is no comparison.

I did enjoy SPY KIDS 3-D on its own terms, though, and in the context it should be viewed in. I will buy the DVD, but if it was flat only, I would have passed.