What's new

Cover Art - Planet of the Apes (35th Anniversary SE) (1 Viewer)

Kelly W

Second Unit
Was there any news in the chat regarding the other Apes films? Will anamorphic editions be coming out soon?

Thanks!!!

-Kelly

Edit: I just realized the transcript is online, so I can answer my own question:

[DavidBelden] Hi Peter. I would like to know if you are planning to
do anamorphic transfers for the "Planet of the Apes" sequels, and
will "Battle for the Planet of the apes" feature the extended cut?

[peterstaddon] I would like to get all our non anamorphic releases
re issued in anamorphic discs, but the business man in me needs to
be able to justify the expense. So I guess we'll see how well the
POTA re issue sells before determining if we weill re issue all
the other films in the series. I'd have to check on the condition
of any print of the extended cut, but it would be cool to include it.

Unfortunately, that wasn't exactly the response I was hoping for. :frowning:

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering what the heck the giant 3 on the spine of my Independence Day was supposed to mean.

Re: PotA re-issue. I hate digipacks. I hate em a lot. Hopefully, an all-anamorphic re-release box set of all 5 movies in keep cases will come out in the future.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I received my region 3 edition today. The packaging is all in English, it is a keep case with a slip-sleeve. The transfer is excellent - it's great to finally have it in anamorphic! The Dolby and DTS are in fine order. I haven't looked at the extras yet.

Real Name
Anthony
I took Gordy's advice and went for the R3, which also arrived this morning and I can tell you, John, that no, it doesn't include the booklet.

It does, however, come in a slipcase bearing a different graphic than the one pictured at CD-WOW (which is the cover of the disc itself). While far from great, I think this cover is better than the R1 cover, which looks kind of nasty to me.

My heart skipped a beat for a moment when I saw no listing for the Jerry Goldsmith commentary, but it is there, thank God, as are all the extras. On first viewing, I'm not so sure about the PQ - seems less than sharp - but it's certainly not bad. I'll compare it to the R2 later.

I've already got both the R2 anamorphic and the Image disc of the doc, and I'm a little pissed off that Fox couldn't come up with more new material for this one. Bar the DTS and the Goldsmith commentary, this is a somewhat redundant release for me, which is why I went for the cheaper R3.
The booklet I can live without.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
well, i'm certainly glad that this is finally coming out. i stayed true to my convictions and purposefully didn't buy the previous non-anamorphic version, so this is a first time buy for me.

Real Name
Anthony
Oscar - I don't have the R1 so I can't answer your question,
except to point to my above comments. I've now done a simple visual comparison of the R2 anamorphic to the R3 S.E,
and I'd say it looks like a direct port of that transfer - chapter stops are exactly the same - with just a VERY slight
decrease in PQ. Menu design is quite elaborate on the R3 (though the clips used are strangely poor in quality, showing a lot of horizontal lining )so I'd imagine that they're the same as the R1.

However, if you don't have the Image 2 disc set of the doc and/or the R2 anamorphic disc, I'd always recommend going for R1 over R3 ; on the basis that the R1 discs are, 9 times out of ten, at least a little better in some small way, be it PQ or menu design.

By the way, the other extras exclusive to this disc are the galleries (not great) and the Roddy McDowell Home movies (quite interesting). The only thing left exclusive to the Image 2-disc set is now the very lengthy interview with McDowell.

Have to say, though - the DTS track is a huge improvement, with much more power.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Anthony

Thanks for the comments which have been really helpful.

What was the RM interview like ?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There isn't a booklet, but my R1 has an insert with Bonus Features and scene selections. I haven't seen this movie since it was new, so that would be around 35 years ago I guess...I wish they wouldn't remind me of things like that. I'm gonna go for the dts right now, so if you think the DD is better give a quick post and I'll catch it at the "intermission".

Jonathan F

Auditioning
Hi Anthony, I'm in the same position - I have the anamorphic R2 edition and the Image release of 'Behind', and I'm torn over buying the new R1 (or more likely R3!)

You actually think the PQ of the anamorphic NTSC transfer is inferior? I'd like a DTS version, but not if it's a trade-off with picture presentation.

Regarding the McDowall interview, this is just about the most extensive discussion with an original POTA participant that you're ever going to hear. Strictly speaking, he may have only acted, but his involvement in the saga qualifies him to comment on a large number of creative and technical issues - and he had a FANTASTIC memory.

Presumably this talk is recycled for a large percentage of the new commentary?

DeeF

Screenwriter
I got it. The picture and sound are really amazing -- worth every penny. I have the old one too, and it doesn't measure up to this one.

This is a very good movie!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, the PQ is excellent, I wish all *new* movie transfers looked as good as this one, never mind the older ones. There are some close-ups of faces that are very impressive in quality, such that I really notice and remark on it...usually I just watch the movie and more note when things look bad. There are not a lot of effects or anything to test the sound system, but the dts is very clean and clear.

I only noticed one minor glitch, somewhere fairly near the beginning of the movie my screen went whitish for a fraction of a second, jarring but no biggie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I only noticed one minor glitch, somewhere fairly near the beginning of the movie my screen went whitish for a fraction of a second, jarring but no biggie.
I believe that's part of the negative. It happened on the old DVD as well and looks like it's simply an unavoidable piece of the original elements...

Real Name
Anthony
Jonathan - I do think there is a slight deterioration in PQ but, truly, it is SO slight that it may well just be an R3 compatibility issue. I have found discs from R3, in the past, to be quite problematic on certain players. That's worth considering. Have you any other R3 discs ?

For £11.99,though, I'd say it's worth it ; for the DTS soundtrack,the Goldsmith commentary, the Roddy McDowell home movies, the text commentary and the galleries - overall, yeah. And if you go to the OFFERS page at www.zetaminor.com I believe there's an affiliate link that offers further reductionson the price.

The McDowell interview on the Image disc is just him in a chair, talking for nearly two hours if I remember. VERY thorough. As someone who really only likes the first film, I found the detail a little overwhelming but die-hard Apes fans should love it. I don't know if the comm recycles this interview but, given that the comm track only includes about half an hour of talk (according to the DVDFILE review), it obviously doesn't recycle that much of it.

I also find that my duplicate discs make excellent birthday presents for friends who don't mind second-hand gifts !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks