What's new

Cover Art - Planet of the Apes (35th Anniversary SE) (1 Viewer)

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
14. Hmmm... I guess Fox has started a new label similar to Disney's Classics Collection. Lame! :thumbsdown:

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
The 14 on the spine is extremely ugly. This is in the line of Best Buy's (exclusive?) 2-disc digipak sets.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least it doesn't give away the ending like the original cover did. But as an Apes Fanatic, I'm not that wild about the new cover either. Pretty stark and uninteresting. And, a minor quibble - that's a shot of McDowall from one of the later films (not PLANET).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not crazy about the cover art -- but I agree,
it's better than the original cover art -- one
of the worst travesties ever to adorn a DVD cover
(imagine a cover that gives away the film's ending).

Perhaps it's because I have yet to have my
morning coffee and I am just not thinking straight....

What the heck is "14" doing on the side spine?

What is the meaning of it?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well they number the Fox Studio Classics, but this isn't one of them, er, is it?
I guess it is now. :) That's explains it!

I am looking forward to this release. Despite
the fact that the original DVD release was
non-anamorphic, the transfer was pretty damn good.

I have no idea if beyond the new anamorphic transfer
any additional restoration work has been done to
the film, but knowing Fox, this is going to look
damn (you dirty apes) good!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Man, that thing is ugly. Why would such a colorful movie get such a bland cover? The 14 sticks out like a sore thumb.

Aren't the Fox Classics usually in keepcases?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
What the heck is "14" doing on the side spine?
It's not a Studio Classic. Fox began re-releasing DVDs like The Abyss, Die Hard, Cast Away, and Planet of the Apes in digipaks. Their spines are numbered 1 through whatever. The single movie releases of the Alien Quadrilogy in January will be 10, 11, 12, and 13. :)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I like it, better than the original spoiler art, but the number on the side is ugly and won't fit in with the rest of my collection! Why oh why couldn't they have made it a little smaller?
:angry:

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I like Fox issuing the 35th Anniversary edition in 2004...
2004 is the film's 36th anniversary. I wonder if anyone told them this...:wink:

Even worse is Columbia "Anniversary" edition of ANNIE, which we are all pissed off about because it's not OAR. But again, WHAT anniversary are they celebrating..the 22nd...like WHY?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Its the Fox version of the citerion series, 10-13 is going to be the new individual versions of the new alien quad dvd set, and i think independence day was also in this set. Another way of getting us to buy these dvds so we have all the numbered ones
I hate this idea. The numbers are way too big and intrusive. At least with Criterion the numbers are less obvious.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I am betting that the "commentaries" here are going to simply be snippets of pre-existing interviews, added here and there at different points of the film.

Also, these "extra features" all seem to be the same things we've seen already on the dual disc for BEHIND THE PLANET OF THE APES.

Lastly, I'm hoping that the audio mix is somewhat improved. I personally did not care for the last one, where the music was often quieted down in favor of sound effects like horses galloping, or the astronauts walking in the desert. I guess this comes from memories from childhood where I used to audiotape the movie off television. You never heard all those sound effects and the music was always dominant.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree, the big number blows! Gee, now I really can't wait for the Original Star Wars trilogy. Episode Four: Number 32

Ric

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I struggle to understand Fox's rebranding using the number system. I assume it is there similar to the Criterion numbering system, so collectors can look at numbers 1 through 14 on a shelf and think it looks cool. Where Fox have fallen down though is most of these numbers are re-releases, where collectors already own the identical original title (Abyss, Die Hard, Castaway). Do they seriously expect collectors to rebuy these titles for the number. In the case of the Alien films it is even more farcical. Collectors will get the 9 disc set for the extra disc, so the number system is made even more redundant a month later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks