What's new

Court rules against Disney: It's perfectly legal to break up bundles (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For some time I have dutifully claimed the digital codes, watched the disc, put it on the shelf, and never watched the digital movie. I have only ever “seen” one, which was a recent Star Trek, which I played on my device in the background to hear the commentary which was only available on the digital version.

Someday I suppose I will be better set up to see these. Now it means a choice between seeing it on a 65” TV with a good sound system (in 3D if available), or watching it on my phone. The last sounds like a very under-the-covers-teen-age thing to do.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For some time I have dutifully claimed the digital codes, watched the disc, put it on the shelf, and never watched the digital movie. I have only ever “seen” one, which was a recent Star Trek, which I played on my device in the background to hear the commentary which was only available on the digital version.

Someday I suppose I will be better set up to see these. Now it means a choice between seeing it on a 65” TV with a good sound system (in 3D if available), or watching it on my phone. The last sounds like a very under-the-covers-teen-age thing to do.

The digital streaming versions are nice to have if you travel. We have a decent-sized digital library now of things to watch while away from home -- which happens a lot more now that I am retired. No more taking discs and needing a device to play them on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of surprised that a company like Disney wouldn't require a commercial entity like RedBox to buy a commercial version of a film that would include only a Blu-ray or a DVD. If they wanted to stock both then they would have to buy separate copies of the same film.
Redbox does have that kind of agreement with other studios, where the other studios provide stripped-down no-frills discs at a discount in exchange for waiting a month or so after the retail discs show up in stores before the movie gets stocked at in the Redboxes.

Disney opted not to enter into such an agreement with Redbox, so Redbox bought retail versions of Disney titles, and stocked them in the Redboxes on release date. Since they were retail versions, they came with the digital codes.

Either Redbox thought it was unlikely to prevail on appeal, or a distribution deal is imminent that makes it worthwhile to forgo the revenue from the digital codes.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The digital streaming versions are nice to have if you travel. We have a decent-sized digital library now of things to watch while away from home -- which happens a lot more now that I am retired. No more taking discs and needing a device to play them on.
I do the same. Carry an ipad loaded with with TV shows and movies. We also carry a dongle and HDMI cable so we can hook it up to TVs.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
you’ve been asked to not thread crap bringing it up where it has no point. Consider this the second
I am sorry, but I really do not understand at all what I am doing wrong here. I am simply commenting about my life as everyone is doing here. I certainly am not meaning to be offensive I’m any way!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do the same. Carry an ipad loaded with with TV shows and movies. We also carry a dongle and HDMI cable so we can hook it up to TVs.
I have an iPad and Samsung smart phone for portable use, plus I grab the Roku Express off our display in the basement bar / recreation room in Michigan when we head to our South Carolina condo. We watched a lot of streaming material on the Roku during our recent 2.5 week stay there recently. We used to have a BD player at the condo, but I removed it last year and hooked it up to the display in our master bedroom back in Michigan (I had a very old Sony player in there that took forever to load discs). It's nice not needing to decide which discs to take with us on our twice annual trip to SC.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am sorry, but I really do not understand at all what I am doing wrong here. I am simply commenting about my life as everyone is doing here. I certainly am not meaning to be offensive I’m any way!!

You know what we are talking about TJ, I've asked you multiple times to stop bringing up 3d in posts where it has no bearing. Again, move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks