Coupons in Best Buy stores...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Step 1: Get in Car
    Step 2: Drive to Best Buy
    Step 3: Enter Best Buy
    Step 4: Find a table with NETFLIX cases
    Step 5: Rip open one of the cases
    Step 6: Look at all the coupons...
    -$1 off any CD $9.99 and up
    -$2 off any DVD $19.99 and up
    -$5 off any video game or vg accessory $19.99 and up
    -30% off a Case Logic DVD album (DVD10)
    -$5 off a Case Logic DVD player case (PDV-1)
    Step 7: Pick out an item and use the coupon from the case(take another NETFLIX case [sealed] with you for next time)
    Coupons good until 3/31/2003 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Thanks for the helpful directions, Rob [​IMG].
    I hope the Best Buys in Canada have a similar deal; I'll take a look if I'm in the area and I remember your post.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Wow... 100 reads and 1 response [​IMG]
    (thanks guys [​IMG] )

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I understand your pain [​IMG].
    (please Rob, the following isn't directed at your post, just how I feel and I'm in a chatty mood; more likely, inspired by your post)
    An observation, not a peeve: I started a thread to which good deal information was added as discovered and have noticed the read count go up and up with the occasional reply and additional deal suggestion. (meaning that there is interest.)
    That's to be expected, particularly considering the large proportion of guests the Home Theater Forum receives daily. This is noticed in non-Bargain/Coupon threads too. Also, sometimes the deal/coupon isn't applicable to a person's location. Many deals on the Forum don't apply to Canadians and other non-Americans, for instance.
    Though it's nice to receive sincere thanks, I'm just content to help fellow members save money from shops that may not offer the best deals than other more recommended ones with certain items at particular times.
    Every savings count and accumulate over time.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Oh man, I saw those cases and was thinking that you pay at the register for NetFlix! (Or at least give 'em your credit card.)

Thanks for the tip!

6. Dave Danek

Dave Danek Stunt Coordinator

The BB here in Downtown SF would not let me use the coupons unless I signed up in store for Netflix. Bummer.

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Everytime I am checking out at Best Buy - I always ask the cashier if I can have one of the Netflix cases (they are always a stack of them at the registers at my local BB anyway) and they always says "sure" [​IMG]
    I have three of them now..... [​IMG]

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

If they don't let you use them because "you need to sign up"... just rip one open inside the store and take the coupons out. The coupons have no writings in conjunction with Netflix on them (the terms are written on the back and Netflix is never mentioned).

9. Dave Danek

Dave Danek Stunt Coordinator

Oh believe me, I did rip that sucker open and grabbed the coupons right away. I placed the respective coupon on each item (bought a cd (new U2) and a dvd (courageous cat)), gave them the case, told them i'd prefer to sign up at home, and they said nope, in order to use the coupons you have to sign up here and now; it's part of a promotion. Guess I should have tossed the case and just presented the coupons. However, I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself by ripping open a package, taking out what's inside and tossing the rest of it while in the store.

10. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Heck, when I bought my Spidey GS the BB cashier gave me one of those Netflix cases along with a separate receipt with instructions on how to sign up for Netflix (and get a $10 BB gift card if you did sign up AND bought the GS) if one chooses to do so. I didn't even inquire about it--the cashier just gave me the Netflix case without asking me...

11. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

I think it really depends on the mood of the person at work that day. I went in there today to try and get the cases and the girl working there was adamant about not letting me take a case. I guess I'll just go back before next Tuesday when somebody I know is working there...

Chad

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just walked in there today to look around and I got another one! Just make it look as if you are reading the back and walk out the door with it if they have a problem [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Waking up this post so that I can offer my Best Buy experience using the $2 off DVD priced $19.99 or higher coupon that can be had in the Netflix DVD case--went to BB to buy Remember the Titans (don't ask me why I decided to buy it now), which was priced at $19.99; also found another movie which I decided to buy, priced at $12.99. Went to the cashier to pay for my purchases, gave the guy the $2 coupon; transaction seemed to be taking a bit too long just for two DVDs. Every time he'd punch in the $2 coupon and ring up the total, he had a puzzled look on his face as if something didn't seem correct; as far as I can tell, the total on the register screen looked correct to me--he took the $2 off the $19.99 RtT per the coupon. He must have re-did the transaction at least half a dozen times, a puzzled look on his face after every attempt. He then pulled over a fellow employee to ask how he should scan the coupon--funny, didn't seem like this was an issue since I could see the $2 being deducted from RtT.

Anyways--to bring an end to this long story, it turns out he was attempting to also apply the $2 coupon (remember, it's $2 off regularly priced DVDs $19.99 and up) on the $12.99 title, which he did after the aforementioned conversation with the fellow employee! So, not only did I get the $2 off RtT, I got an additional $2 off the $12.99 title, which I wasn't supposed to get.

Yeah, maybe it was unethical for me to not inform him of his mistake but hey--it's not as if I was hoping he would take the additional $2 off (I didn't even know that that was what he was trying to do), and that I must have waited 5 minutes or so waiting for him to do something as simple as to ring up two measly items.

14. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    So, I can just rip the case open, stuff the coupons in my pocket and pretend nothing happened? Or should I ask first, and if I receive an unsatisfactory answer, continue to swipe the coupons? And if I make it out without being stopped by an employee with the accusations of theft, I can contiue to use the coupons with no questions asked? I just really hate confrontations.[​IMG]

15. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

16. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I went to the nearest Best Buy and asked about the Netflix coupons. I found that the coupons are housed and shrink wrapped in a dvd case. I asked a couple of service personnel whether these promotional dvd's (I didn't realize until later that there were no dvd's inside, just coupons) were free for the taking. They both told me no - in order to get the coupons, I had to sign up for a free trial of Netflix.
    I signed up and got the coupons. A couple of days afterwards, I was in another BB and was told the exact same thing. I would suspect that for anyone to surreptitiously rip open a wrapped case in the store might put themselves in a position of trouble.
    In other words, I got the strong feeling that by ripping open the case, I could be tagged as a thief. While it is a promotion, it is contingent on...
    Basic rule - don't rip open merchandise inside a store and think that someone isn't watching. And that they'll always let you get away with it.

17. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

BTW...the coupon for $2 off any movie $19.99 and up is on ANY movie. There is absolutely no mention of restrictions to regularly priced dvd's.

Other coupons:

$1 off any music CD $9.99 and up.

$5 off any video game or video game accessory $19.99 and up.

Like the movie coupon, there is no restriction to regularly priced items. They are valid until 03.31.03. Pretty good coupons actually, given that they are restriction free.

Hate to see any HTFer get into trouble with the law...and over dvd's. It took me 2 minutes to sign up.