Coupling Season 3 & Last of the Summer Wine

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TomWoodward, Feb 11, 2004.

1. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Hey

Warner have now announced season three of Coupling for the 1st June, retail should be around $34.98. Extras will include an audio commentary (or commentaries) biographies, outtakes and a photo gallery. Warner have also announced a Last of the Summer Wine release for the 4th June. Retail will be $39.98. No idea how many episodes will be included but extras will include a 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine featurette, an interview with Bill Owen and a selection of biographies. The artwork for that one is over on our site.

[​IMG]

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Good! What's your opinion of season 3, in the context of the IMO excellent season 2, say? I haven't seen 3, and will probably buy regardless, but wouldn't mind knowing anyway...

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Ah, excellent! Quicker release than between season (series) 1 and 2. I only saw two of the episodes from the third season but it was as good as ever. I can't wait to pick this up.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Wonderful! Thanks for the info, Tom! I'll definitely be picking up Coupling.

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Season 3 isn't quite on par with the brilliant Season 2, but there are still plenty of classic moments. With Jeff now having a girlfriend("It's like legalized sex!"), he finally has a storyline devoted to him. And the 6th episode, "The Girl With One Heart", is like Inferno Part II which is definitely a good thing.

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Anyone know how many eps are in S3? I think Coupling is great but the pricing is outrageous when compared to typical TV-set releases (HBO excluded of course).

7. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

There are seven episodes.

Actually, I found the price of S2 to be quite reasonable here in Canada. It was a buck or two cheaper than most new releases. I purchased mine for $24 CDN.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Well, it's not really that popular in the U.S. Only BBC America and some PBS stations show it.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I caught each of the Season 3 episodes on my local PBS station over the last couple of months, and this show is always entertaining.

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Ever since the Tivo picked up this show for us, we've been big fans. I'm still not sure what shows belong to which season, but I'm sure we'll figure out the general storylines eventually.

$35 for seven episodes though? Ouch. As far as price per episode goes, isn't that worse than X-Files?

11. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Why are the seasons so short, can anyone explain? Are all shows in Britain made this way, or is Coupling just like this? I have Monty Python's Flying Circus, and while it's not in a season format, all episodes are chronological and appear to have rather standard-sized seasons (20+ episodes). I've never seen any other UK series, so maybe this is the usual case...

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

TV shows in Britain are done in a series fashion, not in seasons. So imagine Coupling more as a mini-series that has two sequels.

13. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Not much to explain, I guess - in some countries there is no "law" saying that shows must be made in "seasons" (20-25 eps).

Quote: "I have Monty Python's Flying Circus, and while it's not in a season format, all episodes are chronological and appear to have rather standard-sized seasons (20+ episodes)."

---

I don't think so. They went up to 13 episodes a season (if that's the right word). 45 episodes in about four-five years.

About "Coupling" S3: I was in fact a bit disappointed by the first episode - the concept of that particular episode seems a bit "gimmicky" to me. However, the second and third episodes convinced me that the series is as good as before, fortunately. It has been available in R2 for a while.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I just got this yesterday. The third season IMO is at *least* as good as the previous seasons. Excellent. Very funny for a not-very-new concept, just better implementation and writing (and possibly acting). IMO funnier than The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I thought were excellent too (my favorite comedies of the last several years), but they have the cachet of being much more original in concept than Coupling.

15. andrew markworthy

Several reasons:

(1) nearly all Brit shows are written by a single writer or a pair of writers as opposed to the vast teams employed on American shows. The result is that it's only possible to get a relatively small number of shows written in any one year.

(2) Brit TV used to have a much higher quality than it does today. Within any one week there would usually be a couple of costume dramas, a contemporary drama (there used to be a weekly play, for goodness' sake), and several sit coms, plus documentary programmes, etc. With such high quality TV vying for air time, programmers could afford to offer small runs of programmes because there was more good stuff waiting in the wings. As opposed to today's schedules where a big budget drama will be used as a centrepiece and a lot of dross tagged on around it in the hopes that viewers will stay tuned after watching the big programme.

(3) Sorry, there's no easy way to say this, but not so long ago there was a fear that longer runs would reduce a series to the formulaic pap that used to be typical of American TV pre-nineties (am I the only one for whom the phrase 'A Quinn Martin Production' sends a shiver of horror down the spine?). With the exception of something like Dallas, Columbo or Mash, there was very little American TV that was ever regarded as worthy of anything other than 'filler'. Now of course the situation has changed completely and there's precious little on Brit TV that a discerning viewer will watch that isn't American.

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Any word on a region 1 release of series 4? It was released in R2 last week.

Last year, I got tired of waiting for series 3 to come out in the US, so I bought the R2. I'd really rather buy the NTSC R1, but don't know if I'm prepared to wait until next year sometime to own it!

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

At the earliest, I'd expect it at the end of the year. It shouldn't take any longer than summer 2005, given how the other seasons have been in terms of release dates.

18. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I missed it on BBC-A, the fourth season. Are they going to repeat it anytime soon?

19. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Boy, this one just slipped right under the radar. I hadn't heard anything about Season 4 being released in Region 2, and I usually pay good attention to that stuff. Are there any extras included?

20. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

They just finished repeating the whole season and are gearing up to air it a third time, with the first episode airing Monday, 8/30, at 12:40 AM and 4:40 AM and then again later in the week on:

Wed, 9/1, at 10:20 PM
    Thurs, 9/2, at 12:20 AM and 4:20 AM
    Sat, 9/4, at 3:20 PM

before returning to its regular schedule with Ep 2 at 9:40 PM on Sun, 9/5, and will continue to air in order at that time slot throughout September. BTW, all times are Eastern.