What's new

couple sub related questions (1 Viewer)

Jon Torres

Second Unit
This is my 1st home subwoofer. Okay, over the weekend I put together a box ~125 liters for my sealed dayton dvc 15. I figure the bracing I put in will reduce the volume to about ~110 liters and then heavily stuffed should give me a qtc of .57-.60. Earlier today, I fired it up w/out stuffing w/ my dad's old pioneer receiver giving it roughly 80 watts rms. The only bass dvd I had was LOTR, so I let it go. In some scenes such as when the dragon in the cave breathes fire, I hear a popping of some sort. When I turn down the volume on the pioneer receiver, the popping stops. So is this distortion or is the amp clipping? I plan on getting one of the 250w amps. Oh, and it still shakes the house.

My other question is if you can use a flush trim bit for baltic birch. The enclosure was made of BB because it was fairly cheap at $23.75 for a 5x5 sheet. I've seen people list it in the ~$50 range, so why not. I screwed up putting together the frame, so I have a significant amount of wood to cut flush. Would the flush trim bit ruin the BB.

Last question, what kind of finish can I put on BB? It's much better looking than MDF. Thanks.

A

Anthony_Gomez

The popping is definately the amp clipping. The drivers is most likely wired at 4ohms. I would bet that the reciever is gasping with that 4 ohm load.
It will be a night and day difference (IMO) when you power it with a proper amp.
and a little nit pick. ..it is a balrog, not a dragon :D

Mel Silva

Agent
Jon,
I may not know from building my own subs, yet, but I do know that Baltic Birch can be stained any number of colors from deep mahogany red to golden oak and still look great. I have tried pickling (whitewash) once, but it was very plain looking. I have also tried linseed oil which came out nice.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Mel

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Anthony, I have it wired at 8 ohms. One channel to each VC. So about 40 watts by 2. I went through a few more dvds and it's a big difference between no sub and a sub. I hope for a nice improvement w/ a plate amp. Re: the balrog, I knew it wasn't a dragon, but didn't have the name off the top of my head. I played that scene over and over.

Mel, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it. I'll probably end up w/ some shade of red.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks