Couple Stupid Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd_Petersen, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Oct 4, 2002
    Hey guys I have some questions that i should know but just want to make sure.

I just installed my HT in my new apartment and got digital cable "think im going to go to HD Cable though" ON the back of the cable box it has the cable line to go to the TV and i see the S-Video as well. Should i skip using the normal cable and just use the S-Video to send the signal to my 51 Sony HDTV?

Question Number 2..

If i upgrade to the HDTV box through Cox Cable I am sure i will need to use the component cables from the cable box to my TV. My question is, I have components running to my DVD player straight to my TV and soon will have them from the cable box straight to the TV as well. I see i have component hookups on the back of my receiver "B&K AVR 507"
    WHat is the advantages of running it to my receiver first then to my TV? wouldnt i need 2x as much cable then?

I no i have heard this answer before but i cant remember and i know there is advantages.

Thank you for your help.
  2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

May 25, 2003
    ! - Yes, all you need is the s-video.

2 - When more than one source (dvd,cable box) use component outputs, it's easier to switch between the two, if going through the receiver. If using two sources, you'll need three sets of cables. Two for inputs into receiver, and one for output, from receiver to tv.