Couple Questions regarding SVS PC-Ultra.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Does anyone know how much this thing weighs?

Also since Im guessing that it weighs alot, I am going to try and borrow a sub to find out the best spot in my room to put it. Becuase I dont want to have to keep moving this thing. I kinda want to get an open box little sub at work and move it around my room and find the best place to put it. That way I dont have to move the PC-Ultra around.

Do I have to be home when this thing arrives? Because I work and I dont know if I will be. Can I leave a number for them to call so I can show up?

Does anyone own one yet?

2. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Jesse,

I'm working on your e-mail on this question but I thought maybe I'd save folks here the trouble.

First, no one has gotten one yet because we're just shipping the first ones today. I've asked the factory for the unboxed weight but unless you got beat up alot at school and your wife can out press you at the gym don't sweat moving one around in your room.

These are quite light compared to their box competition. Hoist one on your shoulder, or if you want you can even tip it a bit on edge and just roll it on the baseplate from one location to the other. One person can easily manage this, so don't give situating an SVS cylinder sub another thought. It's not that much heavier than a CS-Ultra after all, and we've never had a single customer complain about moving one FWIW.

And I can't recommend you borrow something else looking for the best spot in your room. When the PC-Ultra shows up (you do have to order one first ;^) just put in the best corner you have near your seating area and get out your SPL meter and test disk and get to work. Anything prior to the SVS showing may not help much, it might even be counterproductive. I'm not saying it CAN'T turn out that some cheap little box sub won't allow you to find the same spot, but their sound and shape will be so different as to make it nearly a shot in the dark.

Order the PC-Ultra, and as I've said before, if you aren't totally in awe after proper setup I'll personally drive over and pick it up with your refund check in hand.

I'm sure everyone here will applaud your choice, you've thought long and hard on this I know.

Ron

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

BTW, the shop will soon report in:

1.) weight in pounds, stipped to fighting weight.

2.) weight in pounds boxed and ready for UPS's worst.

More soon.

The button you are looking for is here ;^)

Ron

4. Jesse Sharrow

Well 68 LBS isnt bad. But I think you are right ron. I think the Ultra is the way to go. But just to spoil myself, I may ask if I can take home a klipsch sub just to be in more awe when I get the SVS. Well then again that may not be a good idea. But when are you free for me to come take a listen?

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Actually it seems the first weight was a bit off. We're putting them at 80lbs till we can make sure the scale is calibrated.

Anyway, rest assured I've carried virtually the same sub down my two flights of stairs (unboxed) and then situated it in my room without help.

Young auto-sound installers should be able to do two at a time ;^)

Ron

6. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

The CS-Ultra weighs 71 lbs on my scale so 68 lbs can't be right considering some weight for the amp.

It's not that hard to move. Then again I can bench press over 325 lbs[​IMG].

7. Jesse Sharrow

Well ok then... Ill guess 80lbs then. But you must be right. Well I cant wait till I order it. Hey how long do they usually take to ship, if I order it now would it come earlier than april 10th?

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jesse,

Once we push thru all the pre-orders PC-Ultras will go from "order to ship" in 48 hours or less. In fact I expect we'll be there in a week or two with that on nearly all our subs.

So I think you can take your time if you don't want to see it till APR.

Of course you'll get to hear everyone else raving about them before that, and probably have some in-store sales guys convince you that "XYZ" is better before then too. But in APR we're ready for you, that's a promise.

Ron

9. Jesse Sharrow

Well great. I cant wait then. So Ill see you next thursday? I just gotta doublecheck with the wife.

10. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

I just got my shipping info for my PC-ultra, should have it by next week...btw I ordered it back in mid-Jan. or so.

Oh and FWIW the email listed the wieght as 80Lbs.

11. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Actually I just got me PC-Ultra today, fired up the ulitmate THX demo disc with the WOW presentation and the Pod race scene from episode I and played a bunch of the THX trailers. I am coming from a Atlantic Tech 352PBM (From the system 350 set of speakers), and I just got to say wow this SVS plays low and loud!! My Atlantic Tech just can't keep up with the Ultra, but that probably isn't a shock to anyone in the know. The Darla taping scene from Finding Nemo pointed out a few rattles in my dedicated theater that I never knew about...gonna have to fix those somehow. Well two thumbs up for the Ultra.

12. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

The Darla taping scene from Finding Nemo pointed out a few rattles in my dedicated theater that I never knew about...gonna have to fix those somehow. Well two thumbs up for the Ultra.

I know the feeling. I have a few rattles to fix as well that my 20-39pc+ brought to my attn.

Glad to here your happy with your purchase.