Couple questions from a new plasma/HD owner

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe Pick, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Joe Pick

Joe Pick Stunt Coordinator

First - My Panasonic 37" plasma (TH37PX60U) is connected to my Comcast DVR/HD box via HDMI. My options for the setup on the DVR for the display are 720p or 1080i - what's the difference between the two? I'm not sure I notice a difference. When I think I see a difference, it might be my mind thinking it's seeing a difference. What should I be looking for?

Second - With HD broadcasts, why is the quality so different sometimes? It usually always looks great with Discovery HD or INHD, but sometimes the other networks vary quite a bit. Saturday night, I was switching between two college football games, one on ESPNHD and another on ABC or CBS HD. The ESPNHD broadcast looked much better than the ABC and CBS games in high-def. Why?

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Looking at the specs for your plasma, it looks like its native resolution is 1024 x 720. So it would be best to set your DVR to 720p to match your television's resolution.

As for the difference in quality between HD channels, sometimes the networks actually just upconvert 480 feeds to 720 or 1080. Could be why there's a difference.

3. JohnMR

JohnMR Agent

Actually the Panny plasmas scaler are tweaked for 1080i and setting your STB to this will give you a slightly better PQ.

JMR