What's new

Couple questions about hookup and STRDG720 (1 Viewer)

Louche

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Hey there, I'm really new to home theatre systems as this is the first time I've hooked up any external audio so I'm a little slow. Just for reference this is my system,

Samsung LN52A650
Sony STRDG720
Polk RM10FS
PS3
Xbox 360

I have the TV hooked upto the receiver via HDMI, and have my PS3 running to the receiver via HDMI. The Xbox360 is currently hooked up to the TV via component, and the red/white audio cables of the xbox are hooked into the receiver.

One question is, is there anyway for the xbox to be hooked up to the reciever so I don't have to toggle the source of the TV and the receiver for the audio? It obviously has component inputs on it, however when I hooked it up, video wouldn't be displayed. I am assuming that I would have to have component outputs from the receiver to the TV for it to work this way?

Second question is on the PS3, my movies work no problem so far with surround sound. However I am attempting to put in a MP3 CD and it only plays thru the front two speakers, no centre or rear. If I try and press "AFD" (which from what I can tell, is the proper way to change between speaker configs, eg, 2 speakers, dolby etc) it gives me the messages "AFD not used" in a halfly dim way. Am I not configuring it right?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum Travis!
The receiver is simply recognizing that the CD is not generating a Dolby Digital bistream signal. Assuming your CD is music that's recorded as stereo, it's not proper to process it with surround sound anyway, since it was not mixed or designed with a surround sound presentation in mind. If you can engage Dolby Pro Logic, it will send a stereo source to all speakers, but the results are unpredictable and usually sound wonky. If surround sound with music is what you really want, it's best to use some kind of DSP effect that mimics a staduim, night club, etc. They generally keep the stereo signal intact, while generating an ambience effect to the extra speakers. Most receivers have such effects; I'd be surprised if your Sony doesn't

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks