Couple of Questions Before Buying ProJ. HDTV, XBox Q's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wes_R, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Wes_R

Wes_R Agent

First forum post, and first "big" tv buy, hdtv projection.
    Need help and suggestions..

Alright, ive narrowed it down to 2 selections the Toshiba 51H84 and 46H84. Both being bought from BestBuy.

(stop with the bestbuy flaming, i know, i know..) [​IMG]

My room is of dimensions 11.5ft x 11.5ft

Now, im trying to decide which model/size i should get that will be sufficent enough to view from short distances of say between 4ft-9ft without noticing any graphical/pixilation. Which would you recommend? Beause if the 46" is enough then, i can save a few hundred and buy that.

Also, the BB rep was pushing the Xbox Monster cables on me for like $60! I was like WTF! In order to get the hdtv compatibility, i would need the cables.. Do i really need them or are there any cheaper alternatives.. I dont wanna skimp out though, i want what i see in the magazines, good graphics..

Power supply protector.. Now what would you guys recommend i use to protect these babies? The rep recommended a $60 outlet protecter.. I was like WTF! again!

either way it goes, i got about 2100 to spend and that should include taxes, delivery, and warranty.

If you guys can help me decide on these options i would greatly appreciate it as it will save me money.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

4 feet is a little too close for 51 inches, especially with non-HD sources. Actually, 46 inches is a little close at 4 feet. 9 feet, on the other hand, is a fine for 51 inches, maybe even too far (I sit 7 feet screen to eyeball from 56 inches). Why the large disparity in seating distance? It will be hard to choose a set that is optimized for the entire range of 4-9 feet.

3. Wes_R

Wes_R Agent

alrght, 4 ft is close, lets just say.. 6ft to 10ft away (given the depth is about a foot)

which would you choose the 46" or 51"?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

See this link (it suggests the either the 46 or 51 is optimal at 6ft, depending if you want the SMPTE or THX standard, anything 7 ft and over, the 51 for sure)
    Viewing distance calculator

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Any reason you have to stick with BB? When I got my HDTV a few years ago, I found the best deal Dilday. Giant TV also had really good deals for the Toshibas but I had my mind set on Mitsubishi.

Bigger is better. That's true until my wife asked me to exchange the 65" for the 55". I'm glad I only had the 65" for less than 24 hours or it may have stayed. Not enough time to get hooked on it.

-Robert

6. Wes_R

Wes_R Agent

well, dilday tv dissapeared from my local location, on top of that i need financing..

neither bestbuy locations have the 46" in stock (asshats dont have nothing!)

looks like it could be a 51", but its gonna be a tight squeeze for my wallet.

Aight, now what about the xbox cable questions.. Even though i doubt i have the mony afterwards.. whats the best solution?

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since I don't own an xbox, I'm not sure if they are specialized cables. I stay far away from anything with "monster" on it. There are a lot of good cable manufacturers that advertise here and the Dayton line from Parts Express is highly regarded.

-Robert