Couple of Onkyo 600 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Seems my Onkyo 600 always goes into Pro Logic2 or DTS NEO:6 whenever viewing Directv, is this normal or should I be able to receive DD on the movie channels with Directv? Also,can you turn off the Onkyo via the remote and standby light is always on the receiver after powering off, this ok?

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I believe that the 600 is not going into Dolby Digital mode because the movie you were watching was not broadcast in Dolby Digital. I believe very few movies are broadcast in DD yet. This from my experiences watching a friend's digital satellite.

When you turn off the receiver with the remote you are putting it in standby mode. It is "standing by" waiting for the next power-on signal from the remote. My 595 has two "power buttons" on its front faceplate. One sends it to standby mode. The other REALLY turns it off. Using that button disconnects the power and prevents the receiver from responding to the remote control at all.

3. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Rick,

For DD on directv You need:

1. A dolby digital reciever (I have the RCA 450)
    2. Digital Audio cable (most are optical - few are coax)
    3. The movie must be broadcast in DD (I would say about 20%are in DD on hbo, cinemax starz, and some ppv)

As far as the power, unlike the 595, the 600 only goes into standby. The only way to fully power it off is to unplug it.

hope that helps..

jim