What's new

couple of general sub questions... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all - having some issues with my sub.

i have a klipsch ksw-10 tied to my yamaha htr-5790.

the problem is that my sub doesn't seem to recognize a signal unless i turn up my receiver pretty loud. once i do that, i can turn the system back down and the sub works fine - i can hear it working even with my receiver at moderate everyday levels.

it's like i have to crank my receiver to get the sub to recognize the signal. is this behavior normal? i should also note that this happens, even if i leave my sub in the constant *on* position. it's weird. this is my second sub, so i'm pretty sure it's not faulty.

any ideas?

---

side question. is there any harm in me turning up the sub level from my receiver to max, then using the sub volume control to level everything out? the sub seems to recognize a signal easier when i do this, but i'm worried about setting the level so high on the receiver.

Jason Fulton

Agent
Usually sub "volume" controls do not exist. They are gain controls, used to match your sub amp with your receiver, you should play leave your receiver at 0, and turn it up to a little above normal listening levels, then turn the sub gain up until it seems to blend in with the music. If it is not loud enough, it is simply that you are asking too much of the sub. Also do not crank the gain knob, it is not a volume control.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks. the issue isn't that it's not loud enough, it's that it doesn't seem to kick in *until* i turn the volume up.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Turn off auto and turn the sub on manually. You evidently dont have a strong enough signal to trigger the auto on circuit, so turn it on not auto on. . .

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
i should also note that this happens, even if i leave my sub in the constant *on* position. it's weird. this is my second sub, so i'm pretty sure it's not faulty.
__________________________________________________ ___

That is odd Ted. Something is faulty. I would hook up another sub and see if the problem persists? If so, then you would be able to have a good idea where the problem lyes. Can you borrow a sub?

It sounds as though your (on) is stuck in (standby).. With many subs it requires a little extra signal to wake them up.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
steve, yeah, it's definitely odd.

i do have another sub in my bedroom, so i'm gonna swap it out and see what happens. i'm pretty sure my sub switch isn't stuck, as i can see the front led turn from red (standby) to green (on) when it finally picks up a signal.

i'm also going to do some low-volume tests with bass heavy dvds (star wars, etc) and see if the thing kicks in. this second sub is only a couple days old...so i really have to spend more time and make sure i know what the f is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks