couple HD questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im in the market for a widescreen HDTV, and have a couple questions.

First of all, as long as the HDTV has component inputs, does that mean it handles 420p, as long as I have a prog scan dvd player? Or are there some that dont take prog scan?

Also, is there a big enough difference between 420i and 420p to warrant buying an HDTV? My cable company wont be sending out HD cable for another couple months, so is it worth it just for the progressive dvd's?

thanks in advance

2. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

also, are there any TV's to stay away from when searching at Best Buy? or any that are maybe a better bang-for-your-buck?

thanks again

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

First, the signals are 480i and 480p.

Second, any "HD ready" TV should be able to accept a progressive signal. Some handle it in different ways than others, and some people think that leads to some artifacts, but all should display an excellent picture. My personal opinion is that DVDs played on a progressive player look much better than those played on an interlaced player. On some TVs, though, the differences are very subtle.

I think that if you stick with a good reputable brand, such as Toshiba, Pioneer, and now Best Buy sells Mitsubishi, you should be able to get a good quality TV.

SMK

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not all HD-capable sets can do 480p, however--the new Zenith direct-view sets, for example, only allow for 1080i and 480i (no wideband component inputs capable of handling 480p).

Yes, 480p is a definite improvement over 480i, even on small sets.

And even if 480p wasn't on the table, so to speak, you say that high-def is coming via your cable provider in a couple of months. That's not such a long wait.

Still, though, I'd get the set if only for the 480p images from a prog-scan DVD player.