What's new

Couple basic questions for first HT setup (1 Viewer)

TraciC

Auditioning
I am in process of buying my first HT setup. I have decided to wait & get denon 3802 when they are available along with klipsch reference speakers.
The DVD player I have now is an older one, but it does have a DD & DTS sticker on the front. I don't think it actually decodes these however. First question--even though DVD player doesn't decode signals the 3802 will so will I be able to get the DD & DTS sound?
Second--I would like to eventually upgrade to progressive scan DVD player (RP-91), however somewhere I read that you have to have a HDTV or progressive scan ready tv. Is that correct? I do not have that kind of TV now so would you have to wait & upgrade those together?
Thanks for any advice to HT newbie
------------------

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
quote: First question--even though DVD player doesn't decode signals the 3802 will so will I be able to get the DD & DTS sound?[/quote]
As long as your DVD player is capable of passing DD and DTS bitstreams (as the logos on the front indicate), you will get DD and DTS surround. The receiver will decode these signals.
quote: Second--I would like to eventually upgrade to progressive scan DVD player (RP-91), however somewhere I read that you have to have a HDTV or progressive scan ready tv. Is that correct?[/quote]
A digital monitor (i.e. an HDTV) is required for receiving a progressive-scan signal. Analog TVs are only compatible with interlaced signals. If I were you, I'd wait until you've upgraded your monitor before plunging for a new DVD player, unless of course you can benefit from the RP91's DVD-A decoder.
------------------
[Edited last by Nicholas A. Gallegos on July 20, 2001 at 03:45 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks