Country singer Gary Stewart dead at 59

Discussion in 'Music' started by Henry Gale, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Country star Gary Stewart found dead
    By Will Vash, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, December 17, 2003
    FORT PIERCE --- Country singer/songwriter Gary Stewart, who gained popularity in the '70s for his honky-tonk style and vibrato voice, was found dead Tuesday in his Fort Pierce home.

Mr. Stewart, 59, a native of Lechter County, Ky., was called one of the most compelling country singers of the 1970s. His honky-tonk songs include: Drinkin' Thing, Out of Hand and She's Actin' Single (I'm Drinkin' Doubles). In 1975, She's Actin' Single hit No. 1 on the Billboard country singles chart.

Tuesday, Mr. Stewart was found in his bed with a gunshot wound to the neck, police said. His death was being investigated as an apparent suicide.

"Just before noon, his daughter's boyfriend went to the house to conduct a welfare check and found him in bed," said Fort Pierce police spokeswoman Audria Moore.

Family members, who declined to talk with reporters, told police that they had last seen Mr. Stewart on Sunday and grew worried when no one could contact him since then. He lived in a modest one-story home on 28th Street.

Mr. Stewart helped to bring hard-driving songs about drinking and fighting back into fashion in the '70s, and after a long hiatus in the 1980s he returned to recording music, including his 2003 album Live at Billy Bob's Texas.

In She's Actin' Single, Mr. Stewart laced his song with straight-ahead lyrics that characterized his approach:

"I know she'll be lookin' back, the minute I'm not there; while she pours herself on some stranger, I pour myself a drink somewhere." Mr. Stewart's wife of 43 years died in November.

Information on funeral arrangements was not available.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

When I got exposed to country music about 35 years ago I quickly discovered that what floated my boat was "Hard Country"...Honky Tonk, Western Swing. This was also the music that Gary Stewart loved and created. He was a real favorite and tonight I'm gonna have a bit of whiskey and listen to some of his records.