What's new

Country Music Fans? (1 Viewer)

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Two words: Alison Krauss.

You'll never find a more beautiful sounding voice, imo. Not to mention her backing band, Union Station, is good and pretty famous in their own right. With Dan Tyminski (Man of Constant Sorrow) and Jerry Douglas, Ron Block and more. They have a good mix between bluegrass and country.

Nickel Creek, they're more of the "newgrass" style, which I suppose is more of a harder edged bluegrass, but they're good, musically and pretty good vocally. Chris Thile is an amazing mandolin player.

As for straight ahead country, I like the old stuff, Waylon, Merle, George Jones, Hank Sr. and so forth. Even though I'm 23, it was what I was raised on. I do like Vince Gill, The Mavericks, Marty Stuart, Travis Tritt, Diamond Rio, Alabama. I can't stand the "new outlaw" movement, Big and Rich, Gretchen Wilson, they're not outlaws, Ryan Adams is more of a country outlaw then they are (I would suggest anything by Ryan, he does Alt. Country, swears and everything, a good mix of some punk, rock, and classic country).

As for the new stuff, I like Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley, and even then I think Brad is the only one that's true to country. All others just add a banjo and voila they're country. That's what it seems to me.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Alison Krause is a great artist.
However, when listening to her, it's important to remember to never think of Alvin, Theodore, and Simon, you know, the Chipmunks. ;)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Oh, I keep hearing that George Strait's new one is good. I really did love his old stuff, so I think it'd be worth checking out. Does it sound like old school Strait?

My coworker was telling me the other day about Rascal Flatts and how they are going to be performing on the CMAs this year, and how great they were live. So I'm excited to check them out. I like their current album.

I haven't listened to Alison Krauss too much - but is she more country or folk? I know her version of "When You Say Nothing at All" was beautiful.

I wonder who will win all these CMA awards this year? Too many artists I like (or have liked in the past) are in the same categories together!

JoeyM

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph
Ever since I went to the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert this summer I have become such the country fan! I think country music is awesome because when they perform it's really about the song, and not lip-synching while doing crazy dance moves all over the place. It seems like it comes from the heart! That's a special kind of talent!

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Ha, there's a nice bit of kismet - I just read got an email telling me the other day that Faith Hill is going to be performing on the CMAs this year. I saw her on Oprah a couple of weeks ago singing with Tim McGraw and they were really good together (and adorable, I have to admit). I had her first album years ago (the one with the Piece of My Heart cover on it) and really liked it, maybe I'll have to give her another try.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon

It Just Comes Natural is a showcase for George Strait's versatility. There are quite a few different styles on the CD, but it's all unmistakably Strait. If you have any doubt, go to one of the websites that has the album available for streaming download. CMT and KNIX both had it, but I'm not sure if they still do.

I also want to heap praise on Vince Gill's new project, These Days. This is 4 discs with 43 new songs, and each disc has a different sound (rock, ballads, country & western, and bluegrass). Vince Gill has never sounded better, and the first two discs really show off his guitar playing. He wrote or co-wrote every one of the songs.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Wow - Vince Gill just released a four disc album? I am super impressed. That's cool that each one is a different sound, sometimes I think that people think Gill can't do anything but love ballads (though, hey, those are some good love songs so I don't know what they are talking about.) He's got a single out now with Brooks & Dunn, right? (I saw they were all performing together at the CMAs, so I figure that must be the song they are going to do?) I wonder when Vince Gill will get into the Hall of Fame? I'm sure he's going to go in it eventually. He's had so many hits.

I think I am going to have to iTunes some of the new Strait CD. I keep hearing how good it is.
As for the moment - My latest favorite thing? The Wreckers CD. Who knew that Michelle Branch actually had a good country album in her?

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon

The new rules say that an artist's career must have started at least 25 years ago to be eligible for the Hall of Fame. Vince made When I Call Your Name around 1989, didn't he? I'm sure he will get inducted eventually, but he still has some years to go.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Hall of Fame has lost all significance for me since Brenda Lee is in it and Jerry Lee Lewis is not.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Is "Musical Event" supposed to be a collaborative type thing? (I love that country music does that - seems like it has a lot more of the top artists working and recording together than other genres. I wonder why that is.)

Is anyone planning on watching the awards show on Monday night? I've been seeing commercials for it for days, and am definitely planning to tune in!

Grt2BeAVol

Auditioning
Real Name

I'm not ashamed either! That CD has been in my car for a whole year now. Hope she wins many awards tomorrow night- she deserves it.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon

I'm planning on watching it with my parents. We're all fans, and we enjoy talking to each other about it during commercials. Each of us enjoy different parts of the show. I really enjoy the live performances, and my mom likes seeing the stars in their fancy getups. My dad isn't as into it as the rest of the family, but he likes Martina McBride and a few other artists.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I'll be watching too - one of my favorite pasttimes is critiqueing awards shows outfits (so easy! so fun!), but also because I want to see the performances, since so many people I like will be singing, and because I'd like to see the standing ovation George Strait gets when he gets his Hall of Fame thing.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Love both of George Strait's Christmas CDs (although Merry Christmas Strait To You is in desperate need of a remaster). I'm not pleased with the retailer exclusive availability of his new Fresh Cut Christmas: only in Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Looks like it's not even available for purchase via Hallmark's Website.

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/s...STRAIT_FEATURE

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Thought I would resurrect this thread...

I am 45 year old, pop & classic rock raised male who has crossed over to "pop country" in the last few years. I have seen four kenny chesney concerts, shania twain once, dirks bentley twice, and alan jackson just recently. While I do agree this is not what many consider "proper country" and would agree that this is pop music with a lil country added in, none the less, it is still good decent music. I have two teenagers and I much rather them listen to this, has compared to what most teenagers listen too, the strange thing is, most of these people are good performers in person too. Dirks Bentley seems to have more "proper country" roots and I have both of his albums and recommend both of them.

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Todd:
Not being a "country fan" myself, (I prefer pop/dance/alternative and Europop) I think you should check out Little Big Town. There are times I think I am listening to a late 70's-country version of Fleetwood Mac!

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
YES, they (and the Wreckers) opened for Alan Jackson and has they were playing that is the same exact thought I had, very good indeed!

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Just so you know, Dierks Bentley actually has three CDs: a self-titled one, Modern Day Drifter, and Long Trip Alone. Do yourself a favor and pick up whichever one you're missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks