1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Country Bears coming to dvd in December....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Sep 9, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

According to www.dvdfile.com this movie is coming to dvd in December and it will be Fullscreen. [​IMG] My kids enjoyed this movie(luckily, my wife took them [​IMG] ). But, no OAR=NO SALE. Thanks Disney you saved me $20.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This movie was surprisingly funny. I would have bought it, but there will be no pan-and-scan discs in my collection.....SIGH! [​IMG]

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would have put something about pan and scan in the title.

Disney is regularly annoying me with these edited for someone else's television only releases.

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Pan and Scan only! WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

5. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I'll admit that most of the "Feel-good family films", which have been the major victims of MAR only releases from Disney, usually don't appeal to me. But Cool Runnings also fits into that "Feel-good family film" category, and that is one of my favorite films. Some of my friends tell me The Rookie also breaks through the traditional sapiness and corniness associated with the genre, and I look foward to checking it out. From the trailer, The Country Bears looked like it had that potential as well, but I guess now I will never know.
    I thought that the release of The Rookie in both MAR and OAR, after the reaction to the MAR only Snow Dogs and Max Keeble, was an indication that Disney had gotten the message. They obviously haven't.
    I guess I and many others will be left out in the cold the next time a Cool Runnings comes around (The Country Bears might have been it). But then, I'm not going to know when Disney (and Universal, think Babe and Big Fat Liar) decides to leave me out in cold. I usually don't rush to see these in the theater (now especially that they are unlikely to get an OAR home video release), and I won't even rent a MAR only release.
    Thanks Disney (and Universal). [​IMG]

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I hope the "Fullscreen only" is not true. I read the announcement over at DVD File and in the same update, they had an incorrect indication of the aspect ratio of the Anchor Bay release of Richard Lester's Three and Four Musketeers. Maybe they were wrong or were fed bad information twice. [​IMG]
    Regards,

7. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I was thinking of getting this cause it'd be awesome when 'herbalized'. Since I have a widescreen tv and it's fullscreen only... no sale!

8. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

"Cool Runnings" is in widescreen.

9. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I meant that Cool Runnings fits into the "Feel-good family film" category, not the MAR only release category.

I should have made that more clear and have edited the post accordingly. Sorry for the confusion.

10. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

When I found out that Christopher Walken was in this, I knew it has to be weird. I'm definitely going to rent this from Netflix.

It seems really strange.

11. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I saw this and gave it a positive review, knowing full well that no one would go see it and simply think I was crazy. Really strange but really funny. Hopefully the P&S report is incorrect.

12. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Yeah I liked it too... Would have been a big Maybe but now it's definately a No OAR = No Sale!

13. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

This is a good party movie, by "party" I mean "hopelessly f*cked up and best when viewed drunk and/or high." I'll at least give it a rent, OAR or no.

14. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Thanks Disney - you saved me $20.

If my video store was already open, I would buy just one copy instead of 12+. In that case, you would have saved me at least $200. Keep it up! When the time comes, I will save a lot of money on your FS releases.

Some other video stores bought extremely low (some even nothing at all) of Max Keeble's Big Move - albeit for a different reason (PPV window). No customers cared then, either - and if they do ask for it, I'll just buy some copies previously viewed a few weeks later at Blockbuster.

15. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Agent

Again let Disney know so they can count up the no sales. That is what brings about changes. Let them know they are between the rock and hard place and use the DVD out of both releases on the same disk if they want to keep both parties happy. Since this was a good chance until the MAR was released. Then there are too many other releases to get the money is easily diverted to other disks.

Usually most of the marketing and other people are able to get through NO SALE = NO DOLLARS even though MAR or other theater speak or importance of it and directors vision mean very little. The goal is MAX(netdollars).

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

dvdfile just updated the specs with some info
    In more Buena Vista news, there's going to be even more fun to be had on that 12/17 release of The Country Bears, which will also included an audio commentary with director and stars "Ned and Jeb" in addition to the previously announced extras. The disc will still be full frame only, and list is $29.95.
    still no sale
    [​IMG]