What's new

Counting your collection. How do you do it? (1 Viewer)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I think this thread fits ok in this forum, please move it if not.
Anyway, I haven't counted my collection for the first 3 years and only started in recent 12 months or so, and it troubled me (as much as this kind of thing can of course :D ). Just counting by the boxes isn't fair, you got things like X-Files, a good 16 or so hours, a full season, 7 discs, pretty expensive, etc, and it's what, just 1? No, that's not good enough. Also some discs have 2 episodes, some 3 or 4 or more. Each episode is usually written and directed by a different person and is like a whole sequel, so the series is like a pilot with 200 sequels.
So I counted by discs at first, but then there are some double feature titles like Fly/Fly 2 and Arrival/Arrival II, that's one disc but two movies on either side. Plus the number of discs does not fairly represent the actual number of movies. Some are just 1 movie but 2 or 4 discs, some movies I have two copies of to get all the extras or diff versions of films, like with Dir's cut R1 of Impostor and theatrical cut in DTS from Japan, etc.
Some tv series are shorter, some run for years, so it's better to count episodes as well.
So, I've decided to count the movies (no matter how many copies/versions I got, still one movie is one movie) and tv series separately, and then all their episodes together, as well as separating anime features and series and documentaries/video music/concert dvds, and then counting the individual discs, plus the little left overs of VHS and LDs and it's all in my new sig and this is the only way to accurately represent anyone's collection because counting by only one method, boxes, titles, discs, etc, is not accurate.
So, is there anyone as obsessed as me? I don't think so, short of counting all the featurettes and maybe adding all the running times of all the discs :eek:
So how do you count your collections?

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I use DVD Profiler and I preordered all the MGM Double Feature DVDs that are due on August 27. I want to list each movie seperately, so they will show up correctly and I don't have two movie casts on one list, but if I do so then when it shows my Disc Total it will be higher than it actually is. Is there anyway to list two movies seprately on DVD profiler, but not they are on the same DVD. If not then that would be a great feature for the upcoming version 2.0. When it comes to my DVD collection I guess you could say I'm a bit anal retentive, but that's just the way I am.

I still don't know where I'll place the Double Feature discs physically in my collection.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Here's a thought: why does it matter?
Because it's a hobby and you're adding to it every other day or every week and you want it to change, add up, so numbers is the most natural way to do that.
It's like money, you like to count it, add more. :b

BTW, your dvd collection is gone Mike.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I count my collection how DVDProfiler does it, with the exception of multi-MOVIE boxed sets, then I count each movie.

So for example, a whole Star Trek TNG Season which is 6 or 7 discs I only count as 1. The Godfather boxed set (5 discs) I count as 3. Double features like the House/House 2 pack I count as 2.

So basically I count how ever many individual movies, plus non-movie boxed sets as 1.

I have a couple adult titles too, but I dont consider them part of my collection because theyre not kept with the regular discs.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Here's a thought: why does it matter?
That's not a thought, that's thread-crapping. Lenny just wanted to know how others count their DVD collections. If you don't have anything worthwhile to add, or think the whole subject is silly, then simply move on.

I count mine exactly as Mike Eckman does. That method makes the most sense to me. So my two-sided "Revenge of the Nerds/Revenge of the Nerds II" disc counts as two. My "Cosmos" box set counts as one.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
I want to list each movie separately, so they will show up correctly and I don't have two movie casts on one list, but if I do so then when it shows my Disc Total it will be higher than it actually is. Is there anyway to list two movies separately on DVD Profiler, but not they are on the same DVD?
Try assigning both movies the same disc number.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I count my collection by the amount of actual movies. For example, Brazil: CC counts as 1, Ultimate Toy Box counts as 2.

TV series box sets count by number of discs.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I suppose I count mine by case without slipcover. So Toy Story:UTB counts as three, X-Files Season One counts as 1. But then I counted Brazil CC as 1, so I have exceptions. I also counted House:LE as two titles (House and House II). Darn, I have no scheme at all! Better by movie title and TV show season, I suppose. So TS:UTB should be two movies.

Of course, I use a spreadsheet that covers titles and number of discs separately, so I can count both ways.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Like Alex, I've got a few schemes going, but have never really picked one :)
Ideally, I'd count by UPC codes. If it's got a UPC code, then it counts towards the total count. But in DVDProfiller, that doesn't give you an accurate representation of how many -movies- are in your collection, just how many dvds.
Ah well.
Of course, when people ask me how many dvds I've got, I generally say "a lot", and if they want more details I tell them "Two cabinets full."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I count the number of shiney round things that I can put into a player. :D
I've stated that here on the HTF any number of times, and inevitably I get responses from those who count spines or UPC codes or movies that I am somehow "cheating" in my counts.
I've heard it all before and I don't care, so don't bother. The man asked everyone how they do it, and THAT is how I do mine. So, in all seriousness, please don't tell me that I do it wrong. I don't want to hear it. Thanks.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I count the number of titles, except in cases like Revenge of the Nerds 1 & 2, since they are on the same disc, they onyl count as one. My Die Hard Trilogy boxed set, 3. Basically anything with a seperate UPC.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I use number of movies so for me, DVD Profiler says I have 77 when in fact I consider that I have 78 because of the Toy Story UTB (TS1 and TS2 in one box). Of course, this gets muddied up when you have 2 movies on one disk like The Arrival/Arrival 2 or Deperado/El Mariachi.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I wrote my own script and count both. :)
A related question: for sets that include a CD (such as the Suspiria limited edition and Tapeheads), do you count that as another disc?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A related question: for sets that include a CD (such as the Suspiria limited edition and Tapeheads), do you count that as another disc?
No. Those get added to the CD collections count. For instance, not just in the case of Highlander and First Nudie Musical, where it's a DVD with a CD...it also applies to things like Janet Jackson's CD which came with a bonus DVD. 1 disc gets added to the count of each collection.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I count my collection by the amount of actual movies. For example, Brazil: CC counts as 1, Ultimate Toy Box counts as 2.

TV series box sets count by number of discs.
That's exactly how I count mine too...well, at least when I do a hand count. I have a vbscript that just counts title (ie, Stargate Season 1 = 1)...but it was a quicky, and I'll just add another field to my dbase to calc both values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks