Counterstrike to D-VHS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Apr 2, 2002.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

From the March '02 issue of AV Video Multimedia Producer. They are refering to the upcoming National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) show.

2. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I will stay with DVD, the problem will be is that studios will begin to make DVD seem inferior to DVHS!, and when they release a movie on DVHS, six or more months will pass, and they will be release a DVD with no features, so DVD looks inferior![​IMG] this issue really scares the heck outta me, this is very, very, very scary, and i am worried about it, i welcome DVHS, and surely i will buy a player, but i will stick with DVD forever, and i just hope it never dissapears, but i am ready to start a petition if DVD becomes overlooked by DVHS,[​IMG], you know like i just said

3. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Oscar... Relax Man [​IMG] and Welcome to the forum [​IMG]
    The last thing any studio will do is delay the release of its films on DVD to help push D-VHS.
    And if a D-VHS presentation of a film looks superior to DVD, that's because it is. I doubt even this new DVD 27GIG format mentioned above will be able to touch D-VHS in quality, unless a different compression scheme is used, because D-VHS can hold much more then 27GIGs per tape, and can therefore hold the same movie at a higher bitrate with much less compression.
    I am hopeful that whatever 5" optical disc video format succeeds DVD will have superior video and audio quality to D-VHS, but for the time being and the near future, D-VHS is as absolutely good as it gets for video quality, and potentially for audio quality as well (because of all that extra space allowing for full rate DTS tracks and the like).
    I can assume that you won't be buying any D-VHS decks or movies [​IMG] That should be all the petition that you need my friend.

4. wally

wally Second Unit

I’m sorry Oscar, didn’t mean to ruin your day.:b Thought this was good news. I’m not worried at all about the studios abandoning DVD at all. J6P obviously has pristine picture quality way down on the list, if on the list at all!

Are extras mentioned at all when people talk about D-VHS releases? If so, how are they accessed keeping in mind the non-liner nature of tape?

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I don't care if D-VHS has superior picture quality, it's still a tape-based format and subject to its pitfalls. Optical media is the way of the future.

6. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

plus..not like i wanna go back to fast forwarding or rewinding..especially to get to the bonus stuff (if any are every included on DVHS releases..and if they are im assuming that ff/rew will be necessary to view etc.)

im assuming that as soon as HDDVD arrives..initially it will be movie only releases..no special supplemental material...because they will most likey me pushing the limits of the storage medium.(initially)

id wouldnt be surprised to hear people complaining when HDDVD arrives and there are no special features.

7. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Ok, to tell you the truth, i do support DVHS, the technology is cool and the picture and sound is even better than DVD, but i wont buy this new technology until it becomes more accessible for the public, for example laserdisc never became, the discs were expensive, so were the players, and with DVHS, the D-Tapes are from 20 to 50 bucks, the players are from 800 to 1899 dollars, and oh, yeah, you need to get an HDTV too, but when this format becomes accessible, another one will come around, then another one,in a race that will never end, that is the problem, but i want to stick with DVD, it has cool features, and everything, but when DVHS becomes accessible i will buy myself a player and cassetes, and also an HDTV, but that might happen until 10 or 15 years, when probably DVHS, will be well dead, and DVD is still the king of the road[​IMG]