Count of Monte Cristo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Tk, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I might be the only one who liked this movie, and I hope I didn't spell the title wrong, but it's late.

Anyway, have any specs on the disc been released, I've seen the cover art but maybe I missed the other stuff.

2. Frank ten Hove

3. Han

Han Second Unit

It got a 70 something percent on Rotten-Tomatoes, so I don't think you guys are the only ones who liked it. I unfortunately missed it in the theaters, but will get it sight-unseen on DVD. I like the story (hopefully it's relatively faithful), and Jim Caviezel and Guy Pierce are in my "underrated but quality lead actors" list.

4. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

I haven't read the book (yet), but I saw the movie (which I really enjoyed) with someone who had. She said that some of the details were changed, like the relationships between some of the characters, and I believe the ending was slightly (or maybe not-so-slightly) different as well. Just to give you a heads-up.
    But to prevent this post from being moved to the Movies section, I want to say that I am really looking forward to the DVD and DVDFile also has the specs listed at the link below. It sounds like a packed disc!
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/06_24.html
    -Kelly

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

There are differences between the book and the movie, but the film does a wonderful job of adapting the story for a two-hour presentation that results in an engrossing, coherent retelling of the Dumas classic. (It took more than six hours for the excellent Gerard Depardieu miniseries to present its more-faithful version of "Monte Cristo," but the recent film is no less successful and should be admired for its feat.) The two-disc set will have a feature called "The Pen of Alexandre Dumas," so one hopes that it will go into the differences for those who don't know the book. Such a feature would also show that the filmmakers have nothing to be ashamed of.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I've always loved the story, so yeah, I enjoyed the movie as well. None of my friends did, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I'll pick up the dvd. Richard Harris was incredible.

7. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I'll buy this one as soon as it's released. I saw it in the theater and thought it was very well done. I remember leaving the theater and commenting on how much I enjoyed the pacing of the movie.

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I came out of the theater thoroughly surprised at how well it was done also. I just learned last night that it was a SE but did not know it was THX certified. With a lack of DTS, the THX makes you have confidence in the DD. Looks like I will be buying a lot of DVD's this fall. Looking forward to this one.

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Allow me to post that I can confirm that the street date is Sept. 10th...not the 3rd as posted above.

12. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

My fiancee and I both really liked this movie when we saw it in the theater, but it didn't get a lot of popular buzz. I was beginning to wonder if a DVD release would be in the near future at all. Glad to see it's getting a really first-class job. That looks like a spectacular set of extras/featurettes. September 10th will be greatly anticipated. [​IMG] (Along with August 6th and December 17th and November 12th and October 8th and November 26th and... oh dear, my wallet's not gonna like this.)

13. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

My girlfriend and I both liked this movie when we saw it in the theater. We may get this one, just need more time for watching movies, been way too busy lately

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Here's the odd thing (and I never saw the movie though I did read an abridged version of the book in high school many years ago):
    Its IMDB rating is 7.6 with 3000+ votes. So what this says to me is that not a lot of people saw it, but those who did and bothered to vote gave it a fairly good review. If it was a stinker, usually people log on to IMDB and blast it with poor ratings. Go figure.
    I'm not sure that I ever heard if it was critically panned. Maybe it just didn't get good (or any) word of mouth and thus hurt its business. But I don't recall any of my moviegoing friends telling me it was bad. Worth a rental for me, at least.

15. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

It is one of the most entertaining movies I have seen this year. Unfortunately it didn't get a whole lot of advertising, but it's definitely worth a rental if not a purchase. I will be picking this one up in September.

16. AdamW

AdamW Agent

I actually read the book a few months ago during school. I saw the film and it was A LOT different than the book. Still a fairly good movie, though.

17. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    My wife and i enjoyed this film alot and i will be picking up this disc.[​IMG]

18. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

My wife loved it, but after sitting through THE MUSKETEER I decided to pass. Since we will be buying the DVD, I'll be checking it out anyway.

19. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hm...I guess I'm one of the few who hold this movie in total and utter contempt [​IMG] It's probably due to the fact that the book is my favorite 'classic' of all time. It's been a while since I've seen a movie butcher a book this badly [​IMG] Anyways, it's best if I stop ranting. Do a search in the movies forum if you want my extended rant [​IMG]

20. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I read somewhere that it would be P&S only. This better be a mistake. If that source is proven wrong, then I'll buy it, otherwise: No OAR = No Sale!