Count of Monte Cristo (2002) appreciation thread....

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Aug 25, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I know a lot of people panned this movie. But, I really enjoyed it. And no how many times it replays on the premium channels I can watch it.

2. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I agree. A terribly underrated film. The cast is top notch and the action is well shot.

3. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

agreed.

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Another thumbs up. A well acted, old fashioned swashbuckler. I'd like to see a better DVD transfer released someday.

5. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

The transfer works for me...I had grown up on the surprisingly lackluster Richard Chamberlain version from the 1970s, and believe me, you've never seen Edmond Dantes until you've seen him played by Richard Chamberlain.[​IMG] This new version was loved by EVERYONE in my family, though.

I don't usually like remakes, but this film, along with 1991's Last of the Mohicans, are the two exceptions to that rule that always come to mind. The cast is top-notch (What has happened to Dagmara Dominczyk, anyway?), with Richard Harris in his last great role as the Abbe' Faria. I hope TPOTC doesn't taint Jim Caviezel's career like King of Kings did for Jeffrey Hunter, because Caviezel is an underrated actor who gives a surprisingly strong performance in the title role here. His chemistry with an increasingly funny Luis Guzman (his performance really grows on you with each viewing) is quite enjoyable.

Plotting in remakes, frankly, usually bites, but the inclusion of Napoleon into this version of The Count of Monte Cristo is a wonderfully subtle stroke of intrigue. It REALLY gets you into the movie from the first.

Kevin Reynolds really KNOWS how to make a first-class, quality action movie that everyone can see. Summer blockbusters were REAL blockbusters when he and Martin Campbell helmed films.

Favorite line: in the Chateau D'if, from the sadistic warden--"God is never in France this time of year."
    [​IMG]

6. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    This film did quite well box office wise when released, and was sort of a sleeper hit for BV. The DVD release was also quite good, although some of the transfer wasn't up to par with THX standards. I first bought it as a blind buy and thought it was going to be questionable, but found it to be a well produced, shot, and acted swashbuckler. It was better, IMO than Mask of Zorro since it has a more serious story and doesn't overload itself with swordplay and action (although thats not a bad thing though)

It seemed unusual that they would have casted Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce since neither had huge box office status, but it was a casting choice that paid off well. Also worth a look for one of Richard Harris' final performances. He is superb as usual. I could go on about this film, but I'm sure others have equally great things to say.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Another fan of this film. A very well done remake.

8. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

Finally watched it last month. I was quite surprised by how good it was. Really solid entry in a genre Hollywood doesn't bother with too much anymore - Adventure.

Further surprised by a good central performance by Caviezel, who's seemed too wooden on other occaisions. Some were pained by embellishments from the novel, but I don't really see the problem myself.

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Count me in too. Good Film. [​IMG]

10. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

A nice enjoyable flick.

Revenge is best served cold [​IMG]

11. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    My family enjoyed the film. We give the dvd a spin once in a while.

12. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Can't really add much to what has already been said. A fine film, very entertaining.

-Keith

13. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Also a film that everyone can enjoy. No mindless violence or flashy effects. I also enjoyed the many scenic locations (filmed in France and Malta I believe). It perhaps may also introduce people to the novel as well, which although lengthy is a very good read.

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Indeed, Josh. It is a very good novel as you say and one that hopefully viewers of the movie can go back and read. It is a long one, but a classic. [​IMG]

15. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

This was a great blind buy for me when it first came out.....really quite an entertaining film.[​IMG]

16. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I loved this movie, and Caviezel is great. Watched it several times since I bought it. Made me want to read the book, and made sure to get the unabridged version. Got through about a third of it, and just havent read any of it for a few months now, should get it back out and finish it.

17. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

One of my favorites! [​IMG]

18. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I thought it was a good movie but I was a bit surprised that my 65 year-old mom loves this movie and she very rarely likes modern movies, regardless of if they're period pieces or not. We initially rented it when I was staying over at my mom's for a weekend and my mom ended up buying it later on. I took a look at a lot of the special features like deleted scenes and such. It's a good package. Smart movie too.

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When discussing a movie, why not discuss it in the section called "Movies"?

I know these section-headings and categories are confusing and all, but ... [​IMG]

20. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

What i found interesting was the special features where the director and producer praise the test-screening process and say it gave them some good ideas. Most filmmakers complain about this.