What's new

Count DVD Sets As One DVD or Several? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to come up with a good estimation of how many DVDs I own. Do you count double sets like Gladiator and Close Encounters as 1 or 2 DVDs (2 or 4 if you consider both. In other words, do the extras DVDs count? How bout DVDs like almost famous and glory which come with two discs each containing the entire movie? Is Sopranos 4 DVDs or just one?

I'm losing my mind! ahhh! ah ah ahh!

Help a poor soul figure it out.

Ike

Screenwriter
I count multi-discs as one, unless you can buy the disc seperate. You follow me? Gladiator is one, but the Kubrick box set in 9. The Sopranos is one, but the Woody Allen collection is 12 (or however many it is). That way I think it's conservatively accurate.

Craig

Second Unit
I think the official standards of the DVD Owner's Association indicates that multi-disc sets like The Sopranos count as one. The Godfather set counts as 3. It looks like the Bootleg Edition of Almost Famous may be in litigation for years since it contains two versions of the same movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Movie box sets, each movie is a title

TV product. Each retail item is 1. Therefore 1 disc of South Park is 1, but so is an entire season of X-Files.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I counts sets of movies(i.e. Godfather Trilogy) seperately. If it's a TV series(i.e Twin Peaks), I count it as 1. I have no idea as to why I do this.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I keep track of the movies I own on DVD, instead of the actual number of discs. TV shows are a bit tricky, though.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own any TV shows ........

I would count box sets by actual titles (Toy Box or Toy Story 2 pack = 2 (even though TB has 3 discs))

I have 176 titles on 191 discs (Cleopatra on 2 discs, the other 14 are SF discs)

RobR

Second Unit
The easiest thing to do is count the number of films in each box set.

E.g.

Kubrick Collection V.2 counts as 8 (A Life in Pictures doesn't count)

The Godfather Collection counts as 3 (excluding the bonus material DVD)

Citizen Kane counts as 1 (excluding The Battle over Citizen Kane)

Se7en (Platinum) counts as 1 (you don't want to count the supplemental material disc)

It looks like the Bootleg Edition of Almost Famous may be in litigation for years since it contains two versions of the same movie.
I don't know about that. T2 Ultimate Edition contains three versions of the same movie. Would that change if they're placed on three separate discs instead of one?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I count my Die Hard- The Ultimate Collection, which includes 1,2, and 3 as 3 different dvds. I count it this way because they can be bought separately. If it was a tv show, I would count it by season. Each season equals one dvd.

Is this logical? Or should I count it some other way?

Jon

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm a movie collector, so I count the movies.

TV shows are a bit more complicated: I count casettes in a box-set. Two discs in one casette would probably be counted as one. I don't know an example, though.

In my VHS days, I counted "Making of.." tapes separate. Now they're mostly part of the titles as extras.

"Count" means: enter as a separate record in my Paradox Movie database.

Cees

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I count the movies as well. Discs of extras are ignored.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you track you per DVD cost average, it might help to bump up the disc count total in that situation.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For me, if it's all one movie, I consider it one DVD, ala 2 disc sets of The Mummy, Forrest Gump, etc.

If it's a multi movie set, ala The Godfather, it's 3 discs, with the fifth disc of supplements not counting.

If it's a season set of TV shows, I count each disc.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I usually just give two numbers.

"Hey Shayne, how many discs do you have?"

"Oh, about 180 discs covering about 120 titles."

"How's that?"

"Oh, some have extras discs, some are series that have four or five discs."

"Wow, neat!"

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yep,I count the movies too. Extras don't count, so something like The Matrix Revisited is just a companion to The Matrix.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Call me crazy, but I count the cases! For example, the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box has three entries in DVD Profiler for each amaray case in the set. (They are all sub entrys to the box set entry which has no collection number) ST:TMP Dir.Ed. is one entry. It works for me!:emoji_thumbsup:
I think the key is finding a system you like and sticking with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks