What's new

COUNT DRACULA with Louis Jourdan on DVD (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Despite being videotaped with primitive opticals instead of special effects, this is the most fully really realized dramatization of Bram Stoker's novel ever made. In many ways, it's almost perfect. No doubt some of you have seen it and feel the same way?

I bought the NTSC vhs from the BBC years ago, before I had a multi-region DVD player. They no longer sell it on the website, so I'm looking for another dealer. Where to buy the DVD, does anyone know?

Med

Stunt Coordinator
The BBC DVD has been OOP for a couple of years now I believe. You could always try ebay!

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Seems Count Dracula would be a perfect fit with all the other classic BBC shows that have arrived recently (Austen, Dickens, and now Shaw sets, for example). I'd rather have the real mccoy than an ebay knockoff I guess.

Med

Stunt Coordinator
When I suggested ebay I didn't mean go for a bootleg copy! I've seen the official BBC disc on there a couple of times.

Worth a try, surely?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'll try, and let you know if I'm successful at finding the real thing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
My copy is a PAL Region 0 according to the Cover Art. I do consider it the best version of the story.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The only copy on ebay is a region 2. Is a region 0 playable in most region 1 dvd players?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Only if it were in the NTSC format. You still need a DVD player capable of converting PAL to NTSC to play the DVD I own.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Take another look. It's a region 1. Who knows, maybe it's even legit.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My understanding was that the BBC only issued the DVD in a limited edition for R2. They knew there were some fans in the US, and issued a VHS tape rather than attempt to do an R1 DVD. Apparently they didn't want to spend the money on something they weren't sure would sell.

I snapped up the VHS, even though I had a DVD player at the time, Since I wasn't planning on getting any kind of all-region or PAL player, I stuck with the format I KNEW would work.

Sometime last year I perused eBay for this title and found someone selling some kind of "lost Region 1" discs. I bought it, knowing the caveat emptor thing, more out of curiosity than anything else. It's basically awful, looking like a dub of the VHS onto a DVD-R. They even hooked up the sound wrong - it only comes out of the right channel.

My intention is to someday do the transfer myself, for myself, of course - at least I know I'll do a better job. Since I originally saw the prorgam as three, one-hour episodes on GREAT PERFORMANCES on PBS, I might do it that way, thus using the faster speed on the DVD-R, rather than degrading the picture even further.

Harry

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I saw a different one, but it's gone now. Same cover only with a plaque across the bottom proclaiming "Count Dracula." USA seller claiming it was a region 1 conversion of a region 2 DVD that had been discontinued. Keep watching it's bound to pop up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks